Gap Seals and Hinge Fairings

mocfly

Interesting to note my CTSW has the factory mylar tape on the underside of the stabilator to close the elevator/trim gap. This is a very stiff piece of mylar that runs the width of the stabilator and closes off the gap. Half of the mylar is sticky and this anchors it to the elevator. The non sticky half rides on the trim tab and just allows the trim tab to slide past it as the tab moves. Perhaps something like this for the ailerons on those with ELSA as an experiment? This part was installed from the factory in 2006 and is still in good shape. The adhesive used on this tape, whatever it may be, impresses me.

Tom, good advice. The other issue in doing this sort of thing is there is the possibility that a tape might loosen and interfere with or jam a control surface. Flight Design has really done a good job with their engineering and design to make the CT an efficient machine. It would seem that there probably were many hours spent in the wind tunnel finding the best configuration for optimization of the control surfaces (and associated gaps).

Tom, good advice. The other issue in doing this sort of thing is there is the possibility that a tape might loosen and interfere with or jam a control surface. Flight Design has really done a good job with their engineering and design to make the CT an efficient machine. It would seem that there probably were many hours spent in the wind tunnel finding the best configuration for optimization of the control surfaces (and associated gaps).

If they did that good of a job in the wind tunnel, why do the SW's have stick bump? Do the LS's also have that?

The other thing is that the LS has a fin between the flaps and the fuselage. That was a design improvement due to air flow issue at the intersection of the 2 surfaces. Per a person at FD who would be in a position to know that reason.post-456-0-32030900-1376268044_thumb.jpg

The word is continuos improvement. However there isn't enough space in our SW's to allow for the addition of this fin.

I wouldn't take it upon myself to become a test pilot. I was merely trying to query this most knowledgeable group of owners to see if this had ever been explored.

Be very, very, careful if you experiment with sealing the ailerons. The way the aileron and cove are shaped they may be designed to have some airflow between them. Blocking this off could make the airplane un-controlable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Tom, but when dealing with control surfaces is one required to use a certificated mechanic? As an example, I'm not sure the owner could spot paint a stabilator.

My comment on taping the control surfaces comes not from the CT, but the Taylorcraft. It use a aileron set up like the CT where airflow is dirrected through the gap to aid in control effectiveness. When taped it does not work like it should.

John, it was my understanding that the CTLS was the first to get changes from the wind tunnel testing. It does not have the stick bump like in the SW.

Jim, touch up of paint on control sufaces is OK, unless it is a balanced surface.

Archived