796 or 696

knolde

evening all, I am about to go to Sebring, Lockwood to get the Rotax 5 year wrapping and an annual. I also am seriously contemplating replacing my 496 with something new, the 796 0r 696 and I really have no feel for either of them. I will mate it with a Garmin GL-139. I got a DVD on 696 operations from Sporty's, but here is nothing for the "touch screen" 796. Fundamentally, computers are not my strong suit so I would appreciate some help. Thanks. Ken Nolde

Hi Ken, I have flown with both... When I owned a CTSW I upgraded my avionics from a 496 to a panel mounted 696. My 2012 Skyview CTLS had a Garmin 796 panel mounted. To me, if money is not a factor, I'd go with the 796 hands down. Why? Simple, the touch screen interface of the 796 is much easier to use both in flight and out of the plane for programming flight plans than is the 696 with all the fixed buttons and rotary joystick pushbutton knob. The 796 is easier to pop in and out of the plane (if you use an airgizmo panel mount). The 796 has synthetic 3D vision so on and so forth. The 696 is a good value and works well, I have no complaints, just feel the 796 was a very nicely done upgrade to the 696.

post-124-0-81477600-1376624664_thumb.jpg

Good morning,

I'm operating with the 796 and absolutely love it. I agree with the previous comments and techniques in bumpy air.

Also, the price was just reduced from $2500 t0 $2000. What a difference a year makes!

Rich

I'm kind of waiting for voice command input to be coming out pretty soon. There are already tests in Rockwell Collins and I bet in many other avionics companies. We use it in cell phones.

I imagine at first there may be a glossary or vocabulary that is structured and there may be voice learning software.

I can see it for inputting radio frequencies (one two one point five or Des Moines Iowa tower or Burlington Iowa ASOS). No doubt, there'd be an acceptance and learning curve but I would welcome it.

Perhaps another option would be aural presentation. "Fuel 10 gallons remaining" or "Flaps 20 degrees" or "gear down". We already use voice warnings for larger aircraft for terrain, descent angle and so forth.

With bluetooth we are likely to have more options of having avionics talk thorugh our audio panel or intercom to us pilots.

How would you like a clearance readback to set your avionics? "Cleared to Sioux City airport three thousand five hundred feet departure frequency one one niner point seven squawk zero two zero two" and it all shows up on your screens?

Well, audio is my next guess.

The problem with technology is that you can never be really up to date, there is always something "awesomer" just around the corner. There is no doubt a new generation of Garmin GPS coming soon, but that would not make me hesitate to buy a 796. In fact, I'm having a hard time deciding on adding the 796 or an autopilot first. Autopilot is great for long cross country work, but the 796 will get more "day-to-day" use flying around the patch and on hamburger runs...

I agree the 796 is a better deal than the 696, even with the price difference. A touch interface is just so much more intuitive than twisting knobs and hitting button to get what you want out of a GPS. Turbulence is going to make either one a PITA to use.

I'm kind of waiting for voice command input to be coming out pretty soon. There are already tests in Rockwell Collins and I bet in many other avionics companies. We use it in cell phones.

You: "Garmin...give me a route to North Point via Brown Field."

Garmin: "Routing North and pointing at the ground to the field."

You: "Damn you autocorrect!"

:D

http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com/

evening all, I am about to go to Sebring, Lockwood to get the Rotax 5 year wrapping and an annual. I also am seriously contemplating replacing my 496 with something new, the 796 0r 696 and I really have no feel for either of them. I will mate it with a Garmin GL-139. I got a DVD on 696 operations from Sporty's, but here is nothing for the "touch screen" 796. Fundamentally, computers are not my strong suit so I would appreciate some help. Thanks. Ken Nolde

I'm in Valrico, I have a used 696 original equipment on N920CT. My brother updated it to a 796. I do like it but when it gets bumpy it is hard to get the screen to do what you want. By the way I have no use for the 696 + a GL 39 . I guess I could sell them. Cheers

I'm in Valrico, I have a used 696 original equipment on N920CT. My brother updated it to a 796. I do like it but when it gets bumpy it is hard to get the screen to do what you want. By the way I have no use for the 696 + a GL 39 . I guess I could sell them. Cheers

I'm based at Lakeland Linder Airport. (KLAL).

I have two 496s. I'm getting a dual SkyView system with gps. Is there anything about the 696 or 796 that I should spend a couple of thousand dollars on or will the 496 do OK to augment the full suite of Dynon SkyView? I have an iPad that I use pretty much just as a map.

I have two 496s. I'm getting a dual SkyView system with gps. Is there anything about the 696 or 796 that I should spend a couple of thousand dollars on or will the 496 do OK to augment the full suite of Dynon SkyView? I have an iPad that I use pretty much just as a map.

I would guess that the 496 is really just a third layer for your setup, between the moving map on the Skyview and the iPad. I would spend money elsewhere before upgrading your GPS. Maybe if there's nothing else for the airplane you want/need right now...

Of course, others may have a different opinion and YMMV.

Ken,

Since you have plan on using the GDL-39, I'd suggest your choice should be with between the 695 and 795. IMHO no need for XM weather with ADS-B. Unplugged XM around 9 months ago and haven't missed it. The 9 month savings in subscription fees has pretty much paid for the GDL-39 given the 795 is around $300 cheaper than the 796.

I'd also strongly recommend going with the 79x versus the 69x. The 69x is pretty much in maintenance mode while enhancements are focused on the 79x series. Pretty normal in the computer biz. The 79x also has a faster processor. 3D is a nice feature as well. Touch screen has been no better or worse than knobs and buttons in turbulence. Anchor your fingers on the edge of the unit then control with your thumb when extra bumpy. Of course, there will be an 89x, and beyond. Unless you have insider information, buy the latest platform and don't worry a out the next great thing.

I would guess that the 496 is really just a third layer for your setup, between the moving map on the Skyview and the iPad. I would spend money elsewhere before upgrading your GPS. Maybe if there's nothing else for the airplane you want/need right now...

Of course, others may have a different opinion and YMMV.

I'm with Andy. No need to add another GPS to the dual SV you're proposing. Given you fly with tablet of some sort, I probably would skip remount either of your 496s. You already have full SV redundancy and a tablet that will serve as a third layer. Sell your 496s on Vans and apply the $1,000+ to your other upgrades.

This is silly. The Garmin 796 has all kinds of upgrades and new features over the older Garmin models and has NOTHING to do with Dynons ADS-B by the way. The reasons to have GPS in a device like the 796 and not GPS on an iPad etc are many. Non glare screen, no fuss already mounted and powered in the aircraft. The feature set is way to numerous to list, just get the Garmin and be done with it.

This comparrison shows that the 795 and 796 are $300 different in price and have all the same features except for XM WX Weather & Radio for U.S. & Canada compatible:

If you have ADSB and music you can save $300.

Thank you all for commenting on my GPS question. I have decided to wait a bit longer before making a big change. A follow up to 796 seems like a prudent coa. By the way, the 5 year wrapping requirement for the Rotax is expensive and Lockwood says I can expect a as much as a two week turnaround time. Again thanks for the rapid responses, I do appreciate it. Ken Nolde

Or (regarding the hose change) you could fly out to Tucson and have Roger do it either before or after the Page Fly-In.

He knocked it off in a couple days, including the engine mounts, for a very reasonable amount, and I highly recommend him.

A hose change, depending on the aircraft, takes me about 2 days. The SW takes about 1.5 days, the LS 2 full days and other aircraft 1-2 days. Usually that isn't the only thing that needs to be done though. Most include annuals or other maint. items to address during the hose change. I always include engine mounts because if you don't do it now then you'll have to pay all over again for something that could have been much cheaper and quicker the first time around. The large dealers have a lot of over head and may charge $5K-$7K+ at $90+ an hour. My average hose change is about $2700-$3500 depending on the aircraft. If you throw other maint. items in to get done then of course that can change. I usually have a hose change plane for 4 days which would include an annual.

Archived