2006 CTsw Tundra Tire Upgrade - $6,200.00 ***WHAT***

liltaka

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How did you come to that conclusion? It may not be legal but that doesn't mean it is not airworthy. It's exactly what I did on my ELSA and I have no problems with it in any regard.

From what I understand from speaking to a few people who knows more about this.

I understand that E-LSA is ok to upgrade only mains, but not for my CT which is not E-LSA.

I will call FD as Roger suggested, but not in hurry, I will wait for my tires to get bold first...

I already have tundra gear so this issue does not affect me.

But, you could go ELSA as Jim has done. Then you don't need FD approval.

I am considering going ELSA for a variety of other reasons. If you do,then you can do whatever you like so long as it meets LSA rules. However, just because ELSA allows that privilege to do whatever you want, doesn't mean you should. You still want a safe and salable airplane.

With ELSA, and the 16 hour course, you can also do your own work and sign off inspections. Look in your maintenance manual. See all those items that require LSRM or A&P? You could do any or all of those if ELSA and the 16 hour course. But, again, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Thanks John,

I agree with you...especially we are so new to the world of aviation and we don't need to get into something we are not ready get into right now... :D

We just need to take one step at a time and just don't get caught into something we can barely understand right now.

Simply, just stick with what we have and learn to fly first...

To clarify...

...the 16 hour course has nothing to do with working on an E-LSA - ANYONE can work on an E-LSA.

The course is focused on inspection procedures, and on successful completion you can apply for a certificate that allows you to do annual condition inspections on a specific plane that you own.

Anyway, its a common misunderstanding.

Falcon has no problem with my going ELSA and said rate will not go up. Avemco is not taking new SLSA clients and said they wpould drop me if I changed. However they said insuring my RV-12 which is ELSA is no problem. Go figure.

Resale - who knows. If you haven't butchered it it might be OK especially given that the new owner can do the 16 hour course and do all the work & inspections. But, if the prospective buyer wants to do instruction, then ELSA won't work.

So far I have seen no proof that ELSA will diminish the value of a CTSW. A new CTLSi, probably is my guess.

Just beware there might be insurance and resale value ramification to changing to ELSA.

Are you saying this from personal knowledge or is it just something you've heard and passed on?

I had no change in insurance with I went ELSA. I don't know if it affected resale value or not, but I highly doubt anyone wants to buy a 6 year old SW for training so I doubt it.

Are you saying this from personal knowledge or is it just something you've heard and passed on?

I had no change in insurance with I went ELSA. I don't know if it affected resale value or not, but I highly doubt anyone wants to buy a 6 year old SW for training so I doubt it.

I have heard conflicting stories and rumors. I said "might" just to encourage further research, not to make any authoritative statement.

• 2 weeks later...

*****Update*****

Today, I sent MRA (Major repair and alteration) request form to FD USA.

My request is to upgrade main gear tires to 6.00-6 with larger fairings without upgrading the nose gear.

I also spoke with FD USA about getting approval from FD Germany and we believe that FD Germany's approach is all or nothing.

Reason is of course financial ($6200 vs $2000), FD think they will loose chance to sell nose gear upgrade.

However, all or nothing approach is also hurting FD since many owners decided to not to upgrade.

Therefore, my solution is to gather as many owners as possible and send our request together to FD.

This way, FD will know how many owners want to do main tires only and both sides wins by:

1. FD will sell many fairings

2. Owners will get approval we need.

If you are serious about changing 4.00-6 tires to 6.00-6, then getting fairings from FD USA.

Please send supporting email to:

Dave Armando - topservice@flightdesignusa.com

and mention about MRA for CTSW (6.00-6 main gear tires & large fairings without nose gear upgrade)

Thank you in advance!

Whether one wants to fly with 6.00-6 mains and 4.00-4 nose is, of course, a judgment call. As for the regulatory angle, I don't see anywhere that FD explicitly prohibits using 6-6 with 4-4 nose either in the AOI or maintenance manual which are the only documents with regulatory teeth.

In any case, it is moot if you're flying on Desser retreads. You SLSA types are already clearly breaking regs with those.

Without changing the nose wheel, are you not bringing the prop a little bit closer to the ground?

You may be improving your stickiness and braking, but it would appear to be increasing the risk of picking up rocks with the prop.

Considering the intention of "tundra" tires is to accommodate for rough or loose material airstrips, this suggestion counters my intuition on the matter.

• 3 years later...

Bringing up an old thread. Anyone move to the 6x6 mains and leave the smaller tires on the front? 

Thanks 

Rich Chesser

I have not, but am considering it since I'm E-LSA.  The only downside is I can't run the fairings I have with them, and I think the CTs look weird and a bit ridiculous without the wheel fairings.

I have not, but am considering it since I'm E-LSA.  The only downside is I can't run the fairings I have with them, and I think the CTs look weird and a bit ridiculous without the wheel fairings.

If you dare . . . there goes that extraordinary performance you have now!

Maybe I could keep up with you then.????

Archived