How often do you guys fly?

GravityKnight

I know many of you actually own a CT/something else, or are CFI's... I do not own my own plane as of yet, but hopefully in the next year or two I can pick something up (probably a kitfox).

Just because I got my license I don't want to get lax or sloppy by not flying as much as possible.. but renting is expensive. So far I have been flying once a week since I got my ticket. I don't know if I can keep that up always, but I should be able to do every other week. I just want to stay sharp and feel comfortable taking people up. I'm sure as my time builds, I would feel comfortable taking longer breaks in between flying... but then again, it's an itch that has to be scratched and going without isn't fun :)

Just curious how often / how many hours etc. you guys get behind the stick on a regular basis?

If you as a new pilot fly only an hour a month, that is not good. An experienced pilot can get away with that, for awhile, and come back faster.

My goal is to fly daily but I don't even come close. In reality, unless you are trying to build time, or fly for hire, 50-80 hours a year is probably reality. You will also find that life gets in the way. I have averaged over 100 hours a year in 48 years. More earlier in life and when I was an Army pilot, and less now.

Never try to justify ownership based on cost. You will likely not win. Just do it because you like it provided you can afford it.

My 2 cents. I could give 98 cents more if anyone wanted it. :lol:

I didn't fly at all for three years while building the Sonex. Then I got tired of not flying, sold the Sonex kit and bought the CT. Now I try for 2-3 times a week or more depending on schedule and weather. When I'm not flying I usually at least stop by the hangar and try to do something, even if only washing bugs off the plane. Today it's replacing my Dynon battery.

Yea I can do a couple times a month. Going a week or so in between I still feel good and confident when going up. Haven't ever gone more than a week and a half, and hopefully won't have to exceed 2 weeks for some time. Winter does worry me a bit though as we can get some pretty terrible weather. But I have a little time before then, so I'll get all I can in.

Owning a plane is important to me for a few reasons:

The rental plane is 45 minutes away, I have my own strip (in progress). So that will be extremely nice to have just outside my front door. The rentals are booked solid 2-3 weeks in advance, so there is no, "wow today is really nice out, and I got off work early... I'd like to go flying" etc. Doing some traveling would be massively expensive at 100/hr. Been watching nice used kitfox's sell for 25-30k with a 912. Seems reasonable

Yea I can do a couple times a month. Going a week or so in between I still feel good and confident when going up. Haven't ever gone more than a week and a half, and hopefully won't have to exceed 2 weeks for some time. Winter does worry me a bit though as we can get some pretty terrible weather. But I have a little time before then, so I'll get all I can in.

Owning a plane is important to me for a few reasons:

The rental plane is 45 minutes away, I have my own strip (in progress). So that will be extremely nice to have just outside my front door. The rentals are booked solid 2-3 weeks in advance, so there is no, "wow today is really nice out, and I got off work early... I'd like to go flying" etc. Doing some traveling would be massively expensive at 100/hr. Been watching nice used kitfox's sell for 25-30k with a 912. Seems reasonable

Renting sucks, but in reality it may be cheaper. However, no substitute to owning your own for reasons stated and many others.

I didn't fly at all for three years while building the Sonex. Then I got tired of not flying, sold the Sonex kit and bought the CT. Now I try for 2-3 times a week or more depending on schedule and weather. When I'm not flying I usually at least stop by the hangar and try to do something, even if only washing bugs off the plane. Today it's replacing my Dynon battery.

Yep, I try to stop by the hangar regular too. Sometimes it taxes my endurance - through the kitchen, into the garage, into the hangar. Don't even have to step outside. Life is tough :blink: .

Seriously, it was a life long dream. For the 30 previous years of ownership in AK basically nobody had a hangar - all outside. Brushed snow off all winter. Was interesting in Fairbanks where the coldest I flew was -55F but that was on a search. Normally we cut off pleasure flying at -20F. Looking back it was a chore. At the time it was an adventure.

I average about 10 hours a month or a little over 100 hours to 120 hours per year. I've been flying more in the last few months. I'd try to fly once a week if I could and take a short cross-country once a month. Some things you can do on a simulator but not all. More is better. I think 30 minutes once a week is better than 2 hours once a month, but of course neither is enough.

You guys need to experience some British weather - last year my logbook showed a break from early November to late January! If it were up to me I'd fly once or twice a week!!

Ian,

My Dad was stationed in England 4 years 1953-57 at Burtonwood AFB near Warrington. One year it rained every day for 293 days. Maybe not all day but at least some. On good days us kids could watch the planes come and go from the airfield fence adjacent to housing which was pretty near the runway. On many days all you could do was hear them - not a chance to see them in the fog.

Some good memories from those days.

GravityKnight - where are you flying that rentals are booked 2-3 weeks in advanced? I'd like to know how they do that! Our flight school planes are booked so infrequently I wonder how the school stays in business (and why the leaseback owners bother - although two of the aircraft are mine).

I try to fly (non-instruction) 3-4 times a month just to remind myself I can still fly with my hands and feet and not just my mouth :-).

GravityKnight - where are you flying that rentals are booked 2-3 weeks in advanced? I'd like to know how they do that! Our flight school planes are booked so infrequently I wonder how the school stays in business (and why the leaseback owners bother - although two of the aircraft are mine).

I try to fly (non-instruction) 3-4 times a month just to remind myself I can still fly with my hands and feet and not just my mouth :-).

I live about 30 miles outside of colorado springs, I rent the CT's from Peak Aviation at KCOS in the springs. I guess they have been busier than ever this year they said... and it sure seems that could be accurate trying to make a reservation for the plane! The owner told me they are looking at another plane (they have 2 ct's 2 cessnas, a cirrus and some slightly larger stuff too I believe)

I'll do my best to get in 1-1.5 hours a week... and someday.. lots more right from my property!!

I don't feel right unless I fly everyday! Sometimes 2-3 times a day! That's the great thing about the weather in AZ!

That would be awesome!!

Ian,

My Dad was stationed in England 4 years 1953-57 at Burtonwood AFB near Warrington. One year it rained every day for 293 days. Maybe not all day but at least some. On good days us kids could watch the planes come and go from the airfield fence adjacent to housing which was pretty near the runway. On many days all you could do was hear them - not a chance to see them in the fog.

Sounds pretty neat to me

We have a "runway" at our house now, as well as one at my main business location. The one at the house is challenging, 1000 ft with a 30 ft rise in the center. So you need to be pretty well stopped by the top of the knoll. This requires a very slow approach and full flap full stall landing near the threshold. It really keeps u on your game. Been averaging a bit over 300 hrs per year in the CT.

Ian,

John

Burtonwood is less than 10 miles from the grass strip where I'm based.

In it's day it was one of the largest bases in Europe but there is now virtually nothing left, the last hangars were demolished about 18 months ago and now it just houses distribution centres and warehouses. It is though still a visual reporting point on the map.

Cheers

Ian

Archived