Oil Temp in a Climb

FlyingMonkey

I'm just finishing up a hose change where I found one oil hose with the band clamp off the fitting towards the hose. It had been tightened down enough to reduce the diameter of the hose. This is the second one that I have seen like this. Both have been the hose from the sump to the oil tank.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could not the spring also be on the outside?

I have short lengths of garden hose connectors that utilize that to keep it from kinking.

Different type of material. Garden hoses are built with a nylon weave mesh built into the rubber to prevent them from kinking. The springy stuff on the outside is more to prevent your hand from kinking it.

It's a very easy solution.

For Ed's plane all that needs to be done is; drop the muffler, loosen the fitting on the bottom of the engine and face it out to the left towards cyl. 2&4, put a new hose on with a 90 degree fitting that goes into the oil tank and get rid of the old straight one. Rotate the tank some for the new hose and fitting to align with the tank receptacle. You will need to make the outlet hose from the cooler to the tank a little longer. You now have perfectly straight hose runs that can never be a problem.

I have done it to 5 CT's. Piece of cake.

p.s.

Don't forget to reinstall the muffler.

Personally I don't use springs in oil lines, only coolant because of a reduced inner hose I.D.

It's a very easy solution.

For Ed's plane all that needs to be done is; drop the muffler, loosen the fitting on the bottom of the engine and face it out to the left towards cyl. 2&4, put a new hose on with a 90 degree fitting that goes into the oil tank and get rid of the old straight one. Rotate the tank some for the new hose and fitting to align with the tank receptacle. You will need to make the outlet hose from the cooler to the tank a little longer. You now have perfectly straight hose runs that can never be a problem.

I have done it to 5 CT's. Piece of cake.

p.s.

Don't forget to reinstall the muffler.

Personally I don't use springs in oil lines, only coolant because of a reduced inner hose I.D.

For Ed's plane it was the line from the cooler that wraps around under the 1/3 side to the oil pump inlet.

Making that line longer will help. (I have done this)  Too short will cause a reduced radius when hot.

You can also change that routing, but I haven't had to do that mod on anyone's yet.

You should be able to take the fitting that goes into the pump housing and replace it with a straight fitting and change the hose. This should straighten and shorten that hose.

After I get some work done this week maybe I can get one done and take a picture?

I just talked to Hot Fulsh http://www.hotflusher.com/ in Iowa.  I was expecting them to tell me that I wasted my money and that the cooler was clean.  Not the case.

They normally only back-flush, with a reverse pulse  once a second I think.  They got so much debris out of my cooler that they did flushes in both directions.

First they got a lot of metal, then they got a mystery material the consistency and color of cheese.  A color between yellow and orange.  They keep telling me that they are certain their equipment didn't produce the cheesy material.

The cooler is now clean and is waiting an assessment and recommendations from the tech.  Their internet is down at the moment but I understand that the photos are very interesting.

hmmmmmmmmmmm

I just talked to Hot Fulsh http://www.hotflusher.com/

First they got a lot of metal, then they got a mystery material the consistency and color of cheese. A color between yellow and orange. They keep telling me that they are certain their equipment didn't produce the cheesy material.

In car systems, generally that means that there was a gasket leak and oil got into the coolant. This is what it looks like in extreme cases.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c209/spclefx/white_goo.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd211/swarf_rat/Grinder/Coolant5_zps3f6ede90.jpg

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/attachments/928-forum/364966d1245008358-another-bad-day-coolant-in-engine-oil-100_3156.jpg

They mentioned a gasket but I think they meant the material might have been a gasket.

They don't have a clue what it is, they are concerned it might be sabotage and that I need to know what it is.

Now they want to continue flushing it for a 3rd day.

Are there any sealants this color?

KInda matches my paint.

Hi Ed,

No gaskets. Everything is "O" rings except the water pump. carbs have two gasket, but they don't count here. There is no plastics of this color I know of in the engine and no sealant unless someone used something like this on you plane after its MFG. IF your gearbox has been removed what color sealant did they use when it was re-mounted? If it is yellow then they over used the sealant and it migrated to the cooler, but if you have never had that work done then it's a mute point. Rotax used to recommend a sealer that was yellow, but not any more.  D

Did this problem start right after your hose change?

I can't imagine what this  stuff is. I would have them send as much back to you as possible and send it to AvLabs and find out what it is. I agree it sure looks like your paint, but I can't see how it would get in the oil system.

1.5 years ago I flushed my oil cooler and it was clean. Did it over a white rag with a powerful solvent and high pressure . Got nothing blowing in either direction.

You may not need to do any other mods other than this cleaning, but I would put a spring in where I just posted in the oil line coming off the right side of the oil coller going around into the oil pump.

Is the amount in the picture all of it or is there more? Would this amount be sufficient to cause the reduction in oil flow necessary to increase oil temps? Does it stay in this state at all temps or does it change characteristics at different temperatures and pressures?

Archived