Oil Temp in a Climb

FlyingMonkey

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The plastic hose protector is a good idea. I think it raises some questions but is worth pursuing.

If it is a plastic shipping plug, it would be of a certain mass. If you gathered all the pieces, you'd have some idea of whether the amount of material fits the hypothesis. If you can get one of the plugs, you can compare it with your samples. Your samples will have been "processed" so they may be a different color and may have a different texture and even plasticity may have changed, but short of some major transformation you may get an idea if this explanation is reasonable.

After seeing the photo a guy from dysonanalysis said "Carboxylates used in the engine oil additive package can make these as well as heat exchanger welds, brazing compounds, and chemistries."

A photo of metal Carboxylates, metal salts: The yellow matches.

20091021133715_bikawa_2.jpg

With OAT in the mid 80's I did a test climb and oil temps were about 25 degrees cooler.  Jeremy didn't want to install the springs.  The cooler overhaul seems like the most effective component.  I was unable to reach 250, no ability to get near redline on this test.  :)

A test will only tell, but I doubt the spring would impede flow.  Here's my reasoning:  The flow is largely the result of the smallest restriction, right?  At each end of the hose, a fitting/tube goes into the hose, effectively creating a restriction equal to the size of the fitting, right?  So the flow is limited to whatever can get through those fittings, right?  Or less if there are any smaller restrictions in the hose (kink), right?

The spring has the same inside diameter as the fittings/tubes that go into the hose ends, so the spring can't reduce the flow any more than the fittings/tubes that are already in the end of each hose.  

If the spring causes the reduced radius to be larger, or eliminates a kink, then the flow will be greater, not less.

It would be fun to hookup a flow meter and test.

I'm sure you're a happy camper after all this time. Did you happen to call Avlabs and see how much they would charge to see what the yellow material is?

p.s.

My hoses are about a 1-1.5 years old and I never had a temp issue until the hose got a little time on it  and a little more pliable. It's most likely the same blue Parker hose that I have for oil. My oil temps were the same as Tom's in his CT and now they are 10F cooler.

Archived