Engine light

Jerry

I was flying this past weekend when the engine light came on and then after about 2 minutes went off again. I had been cruising at 6,000' for about 35 minutes, all was well. When I reduced my rpm from 4,900 to 3,400 as I descended to 2,000' in preparation for landing, I added throttle once at 2,000' increasing rpm to 4,600 and the engine light began to flash and a rpm warning came on. The engine was still running very smooth and all other gauges were reading normal, then apter about 2 minutes of that, the light went out and everything read normal through to landing. What the heck was that all about. Don't mind telling you, that made me a little nervous for about two minutes, not to mention my passenger. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If it was an engine temp light,

If you cooled down the oil temp below 120F the acceptable rpm limit is 2500 and you were above that. So once you added throttle and leveled off the engine heated back up and the oil temp went back over 120F and the low engine temp light went out.

It was a warning of low oil temperature and high rpm. The engine can cool down fairly quickly in low rpm descent's.

Hi Roger,

that's exactly what had happened, low oil temp and high RPM warning came on. Oil temp had dropped below 100F and when I reengaged the throttle it was only at 4650RPM. I'm guessing this is a similar case as to warmimng the engine up prior to flight when oil temp exceeds 124F and the RPM spectrum spreads?

I was flying this past weekend when the engine light came on and then after about 2 minutes went off again. I had been cruising at 6,000' for about 35 minutes, all was well. When I reduced my rpm from 4,900 to 3,400 as I descended to 2,000' in preparation for landing, I added throttle once at 2,000' increasing rpm to 4,600 and the engine light began to flash and a rpm warning came on. The engine was still running very smooth and all other gauges were reading normal, then apter about 2 minutes of that, the light went out and everything read normal through to landing. What the heck was that all about. Don't mind telling you, that made me a little nervous for about two minutes, not to mention my passenger. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. Moving forward I'll keep a close eye on the oil temp to not let it fall below 120 during long decents, especially when the outside temp was as cool as it was during that flight.

It won't hurt a thing since it doesn't run that way all the time and it only last a few minutes. For most it doesn't happen very often so don't worry about it. You can't shock cool a 912 because of the water cooling. The panel light is an attention getter to make you pay attention and look at whatever is going on, but it's not always an emergency or real problem.

Archived