First solo vs first alone

liltaka

Last Thursday was my first solo. It was not as bad as I though it would be...

My instructor got out out after my 3rd landings and I was told to do 3 more...

I had no issue since I was already in the zone and knew the condition.

But, nothing like the next day "alone" at the airport doing pre-flight and flying all alone.

I had to think twice before get in the aircraft and start the pre-flight process...

Reading off the checklist like someone was listening me saying; "check", "on", "off", and so on.

I think hardest part of solo is 2nd time rather than the first time.

Now, I have 4 alone "solo" flights in and getting used to the fact "me, myself and I".

I cannot wait for my 5th tomorrow morning at 0630!

Happy flying!

Liltaka,

Congratulations.

I found that after my first supervised solo that leaving the airport environment for awhile and just flying for fun helped calm my nerves. After some time enjoying the flight I'd go back and shoot some TOAL's. That was 40 years ago but I still remember those days very clearly.

Good luck,

Rich

That first time all alone definitely gets your attention. You are working "without a net" and no instructor is going to slap your hand or talk you down if you are doing it wrong. But once you do it successfully, you feel free...you no longer are asking permission or confirmation for every action, you are just making your own decisions and flying. Just be conservative on your flying decisions regarding flying conditions and when to stay on the ground, and things will go smoothly.

On Saturday I made my first completely alone flight into a towered airport. It went fine in spite of some pretty bad controller mistakes and winds on landing that kicked up to 12G22. So I have recent experience with that "first time alone" feeling.

I learned quite some time ago that when we learn something difficult we go through three stages (not always linear): Incompetent Incompetency - where we don't know what we are doing, and we know we don't know what we are doing; Competent Incompetentcy - where we know what we are doing, but don't know we do; and, Competent Competency - where we reach the point where we not only know what we are doing, but we are aware of our abilities. (The dangerous situation would be believing that we are competent when we aren't.)

I believe we, as pilots, go through each of these many times and there are always new situations and new things to learn. But those Competent Competency moments sure feel great. Congratulations!

Nope, it actually had to do with students becoming parish pastors. I'm not sure if I got to that third stage in the 27 years before I retired. :) So now you have an insight into my soul - there are those who think that I think too much - at times I agree. :) When I come up with the answer to life, the universe, and everything... I'll slow down.

Nope, it actually had to do with students becoming parish pastors. I'm not sure if I got to that third stage in the 27 years before I retired. :) So now you have an insight into my soul - there are those who think that I think too much - at times I agree. :) When I come up with the answer to life, the universe, and everything... I'll slow down.

Doug, for what it's worth Jeff Foxworthy has the answer to happiness in the Universe and it is "She ain't happy - you ain't happy". Nuf said.

Congrats! It is something you will never forget. I was astonished how fast I got off the ground on my first solo flight. But as I was reading this it made me wonder....how many folks have issues on their first solo flight? I've never heard of any issue but have any of you heard of any issues? All my neighbors are pilots and they say the 300 hour mark is the "witching" hour - maybe that Competent Incompetentcy thing...

I posted a thread on my F-book tonight saying:

"i'm sitting here drinking a beer and thinking how awesome that is to fly...what an revelation is to be free in 3D world...the real 3D freedom that is."

I am truly hooked on flying and no fear will come in between me and newly found love...I am a second generation aviator and I have to admit my fault by saying "I should have learned from my father". Sometimes, when your family member is a pro at something, you tend to choose something else to avoid comparison...but I was completely wrong. Flying feels like no other in this world and that is all I can think of now days...

Thanks guys for encouragements!

Archived