Cup/Bottle Holder?

FlyingMonkey

I know I'm not the only one with this problem, maybe somebody has solved it.

I like to have a bottle of water to drink when flying, especially long distances. I've been scratching my head about the best way to have one handy in flight. The door pockets are too narrow to hold a standard 20oz bottle, the floor lockers are not reachable in flight with the harness on, the center console works for one person but not both, and would send a bottle fling in turbulence anyway...

Show me your clever solutions!

Nothing fancy here... we just keep our bottled water on the floor, just ahead of the seat... maybe even tucked a bit under the front of the seat and our legs. I'm not a fan of flying with drinks, but flying in the desert, carrying some water is prudent.

tim

Hydration is a serious issue for those of us who may fly higher and longer. Dehydration is not a subject we spend much time on, but glider forums discuss it frequently. For many of us, a long leg means cutting down on the liquid intake before the flight. A natural inclination and one I've done, but probably not the smartest.

Sometimes short legs are simply not practical or even possible, so suggesting 2 or 3 hour breaks is not always the solution.

I tried laying a bottle today between the seat and stick...it worked fine, but I worry a little about a big bump tossing the bottle into the rudder pedals. It will work until I figure something else.

Never had it happen, but if you are worried about it teather it to the seat track with some string.

• 2 weeks later...

1,000' lost and heads cut badly, 15mi East of Mt Charleston and it had nothing to do with rotors? just happens?

and your posts are relevant and mine are irrelevant?

I have been flying that area since the 1980s and the flight path is determined by mountains on the west and restricted area to the east, so we all end up flying a similar route. I refused to fly it today because I know what conditions will lead to hurting my head.

15 E of the ridge there is prone to rotors because the lee side wind undulates and rotors multiple times.

Over the mtn is likely smooth with the rotor in the lee so above Mammoth can be smooth, but look out to the east.

IMO the low level spontaneous CAT (or was that an 'air pocket') was likely proximity to the lee of Si's breath.

That said, cup holders are a bad idea.

camelbaks and sealed containers stored at the front of the seat are easy and secure if you apply some thought to it.

I use a small bottle of Desani (stronger plastic) and put it between my seat and the door. The worst thing is that it would slip down to the back, but not forward. I have thought about the cup holders, but am afraid of them.

I'm experimenting with that location and the one between the stick and the seat...I'll let ya'll know if I find anything better.

http://www.ebay.com/...17e26b3&vxp=mtr

I use one of these mounted with velcro on the rear wall between the seats behind the BRS pull handle (on a CTLS). on a CTSW velcro off the side of the center console just in front of the seat. I also played with double stick tape on the rear bulkhead but it works best when it sits on something and isn't "hanging". Works very well. This one is a little more expensive than others but it actually has some quality to it. In addition it has little spring loaded arms that securely hold a bottle or can in rough air.

$%28KGrHqZHJCgE-edmB9lLBPqdNMJt%28g%7E%7E60_57.JPG

Archived