So far I like the Gopro for stills better than video

Ed Cesnalis

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

We are in the mid 30s which will probably make this the warmest December on record. (To go along with October and November.) The 97 degree day in October was pretty spectacular.

Lots of low clouds and fog though. (Also rare for December.)

Maybe we will catch up with GA one of these days.????

Even as a flatlander I have found on higher DA days I cannot climb well with the flaps at -6. Dropping back to 0° fixes that.

I have not had this problem...are you trying to climb at too low a speed?  I usually climb at 15 flaps and 60kt until 500ft AGL, then go to 0.  Once speed hits about 75kt I go to -6.  I then accelerate to about 90kt and climb at that speed.

Never heard of flaps aiding performance at altitude.

Is this a thing? Can't see at first blush why it would be.

As long as the increase in lift from the higher flap setting is more than the increase in induced drag penalty...why would it not be?  Net increased lift on the same power at the same altitude would equal more climb, or the ability to maintain a higher altitude.

In a CT, I can see lift being increased over drag at 0 and maybe even 15 settings.  30-40, not so much.

Or am I missing something?

You got it right Andy,

Your absolute ceiling (is that  the right term?) is when stall speed and max speed intersect.  When you retract from reflex to zero your stall speed decreases, when you retract from zero to 15 your stall speed decreases again.  The first 2 retractions will increase your climb and ceiling.

Perhaps your max speed decreases as well, not so sure about that but if it does there is still an increase in performance at max altitudes.

I have not had this problem...are you trying to climb at too low a speed? I usually climb at 15 flaps and 60kt until 500ft AGL, then go to 0. Once speed hits about 75kt I go to -6. I then accelerate to about 90kt and climb at that speed.

This was a change of altitude from 5500' to 7500'. The temps on the ground were 95+. I don't recall what they were at altitude but I do know I was going to 7500 to find the air conditioning. The AP kept calling for more elevator trim until I dropped back to 0°.

After that there was no issue.

Archived