Tanis pre-heater

Ed Cesnalis

I have a Reiff heater and it works well. (When I crank up at 10F - coldest I flew in last year - my oil temp shows 60F.) Cheaper than a Tanis, but it does not strike me as the best solution. If you don't mind spending the money go with the Tanis. The Reiff is cheaper to purchase and cheaper to install.

Several around here and a number I know of out of Minnesota have the Reiff and are happy with it. I didn't like the idea with the Tanis that bolts used in the engine and torqued to specific specs were subbed out as part of the heating system.

From what I can tell, either system will do a good job. Whether you think Tanis is worth the extra money is up to each person. It's not to me and people I know.

We've done a lot of testing with Tanis.. with the SwitchBox and their product and we highly recommend them.

Really great product.

The FBOs that do installs on our planes all recommended them from their experience too.

** Though the cheap EZ-heat and light bulb solutions also work! **

if you want to read more about the remote control option, click through here

http://switchboxcontrol.com/the-switch-box/

Thanks JIm, we were talking about this yesterday and I was persuaded to get a cowling blanket too.

"using an insulated cover and a multipoint preheating system that is plugged in continuously is one of the most effective methods of eliminating internal engine corrosion, particularly if the aircraft is kept in an unheated hangar rather than outdoors. If the entire engine is maintained above the dewpoint, condensation simply cannot occur."

We partnered with Tanis on a cowling blanket giveaway last season. I was impressed that it made such a difference.

When you use a good cowling cover and you preheat for 4-6 hours, check the oil and its steaming into the cold air.

I didnt see this before without the cover.

We'll give away another Free one soon, I really believe in it. I think they charge $4-500 for it, which is pretty hefty

P

Archived