Skycatcher's End

Jim

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The CT is no doubt a great airplane with a lot of features for an LSA. Remember also that a four seat airplane isn't JUST a four-seater...it's also a two seater that can carry a TON of stuff for camping, long vacations, etc. if needed.

Even better! I have 2 boys - so the thought of flying them to go camping is great! Or of course a weekend Bahama trip works too one day!

Emini- sounds like you have yourself and three passengers to take camping, etc. If that is your mission, don't bother with a C-182, get a C-206 or Cherokee 6. Those are true 4 place and a lot of stuff airplanes. A fuel injected 206 burns very little more than a similar vintage 182 with carb. After having a 206 for 18 years I stepped down to a 182. That was a mistake. With full fuel, you could still legally put 1100# in my 206.

My 2 cents, worth what you paid for it.

Another place to look is www.skywagons.com. You should be able to get a nice 206 for under $150K. A 205 is also an option, essentially the same plane but older and with less HP. If possible you want a U206 which have double cargo doors but only one door up front on the pilots side. A P206 has two doors up front (one each side) plus a smaller cargo door in back. You may be able to get a P206 cheaper but it may be harder to sell since most want the U206.

I know that I should not ask however never having flown an RV-9 I would like to know. This past week at the Page flyin my CTLSi on several flights was performing about 110 knots, 8500 feet at fuel burn of 3.6 gallon fuel burn level flight. This was at 5050 RPM and 1300 lbs calculated weight. Can a RV -9 perform at this economy rate? my hanger mate's RV-9 sure looks good.

Out of curiosity, did you get to fly alongside other non injected CT's? If so, what insights can you share about climb and cruise performance?

I trained and got my Sport license in a Skycatcher and I currently own a CTLS. I am 6'1" and also weight 220 lbs. I enjoyed the Skycatcher as a trainer. I don't remember the seats being overly comfortable, or uncomfortable. In the CTLS I have not had any back issues on three hour stints, although I do believe the pump up lumbar support could be better placed.

One issue with the Skycatcher was that it does not have a baggage compartment, just a net over the area behind the seats. It has plywood floorboards and seats that do not move - there is a knob that moves the pedals forward and back. It also has a castering nose wheel, which for me personally is a negative.

At one point they had a problem with doors opening in flight so they added an extra latch. The skycatcher is very utilitarian.

The other negative for me is that Cessna is very reluctant to allow anyone but their dealers work on the planes. I would suspect that an LSRM would not find a great deal of help from them.

My final assessment is that it is a good trainer, but I would not purchase one.

http://www.barnstorm...CESSNA 206.html

Wow. how do you gusy find this stuff :) I need to work on my search skills! I thought Tradeaplane and controller was it !

http://www.barnstorm... - '67.html

Both in your range, especially once you sell the floats on the first one. An older 210 would probably do the trick too, and for a lot less.

Out of curiosity, did you get to fly alongside other non injected CT's? If so, what insights can you share about climb and cruise performance?

I followed others on the fly outs from Page to several locations, always last in line. I think the prop is pitched for about 5600 RPM WOT. I could not find any real difference in the CTLSi performance either from The SW ahead or my own CTLS that I have in Honolulu. Maybe the fuel difference is more than 20% less! to soon to tell. The startup is much different. Fast easy start but then it slows to about 1625 RPM and makes much rattle sounds. Must move to about 2100 for warm up. Will only start if both batt and gen are engaged first. Also after a short warm but before 120 oil I ran to 3000 for a few moments so that the second gen would come online. Dynon with screen options is simply GREAT, much improves the utility of flight planning and view. Only 30 on flaps but no big deal. Love both CT, more later. N413F, N413L

Farmer

Archived