Oil pressure sender giving up the ghost

FlyingMonkey

Is there a concern with production changes in the thread size on the 912 engine oil pump fitting? Weren't the threads originally NPT and then changed to metric at some point? It may be worth checking since I think the two threads are similar in appearance and may not be obviously different at first glance.

Is there a concern with production changes in the thread size on the 912 engine oil pump fitting? Weren't the threads originally NPT and then changed to metric at some point? It may be worth checking since I think the two threads are similar in appearance and may not be obviously different at first glance.

I thought Roger said that this fitting is one of the few NPT fittings on the 912 series.

The point of my prior post was that Rotax changed from NPT to M10 thread for the oil pressure sensor port on the 912 series engine (in the past year or two, I believe).

This makes for some uncertainty in thread sizes that has resulted in grief for some owners (either those with older engines installing new senders or those with newer engines installing common relocation kits or older sensors with NPT threads).

My only point is to check all fittings before installing anything. There are now two sizes in use when there used to be just one.

(My comments are for entertainment purposes only and are not intended to substitute for factory documentation nor for standard maintenance practice).

The newer engines do have a different thread, but the engine in the last 2 years for CT's have had many already on the fire wall. I do not know exactly where the serial number for the thread change is, but if you had a different thread then just buy a different nipple when you discover the change. Most of us wanting to do the change have older engines and not a new one.

Archived