Scottsdale Trip

S3flyer

Arizona Flyers -- My wife's favorite author is launching her latest release with a book signing event in Scottsdale next year. Not high on my list until she asked if we could fly ourselves. Of course, the answer was 'yes'. We'll probably make turn it into 7-10 day vacation starting at Big Bend. Years ago I flew to the Rockies quite a bit but now am a certified flatlander so I'd like to route into the area avoiding the higher peaks. How does this route look: http://ctflier.com/i...300-scottsdale/?

Also, any preferences for Phoenix-area airports?

What time of year? The El Paso-Phoenix part of the trip is pretty much the same route I did when some CTFliers did trips to Carlsbad Caverns and Roswell. 'Piece of cake. The portion from Wilcox to Phoenix area is quite gorgeous. You could avoid peaks pretty easily, but if you want to avoid terrain almost entirely, you could extend to Tucson, and fly north to Phoenix area.

No reason to not park at KSDL, unless you specifically want to avoid the complex/busy airspace through Phoenix.

tim

Diana Gabaldon? June?

KSDL isn't the most small-plane friendly airport, but for a single fly in/out you won't know the difference. Phnx approach will guide you through the Bravo transition and into KSDL (or DVT) without a hitch. Just review the transition route before crossing. $5/night parking (honor system envelope) at KSDL (any yellow spot in front of terminal).

KDVT (my base) is very GA friendly, but busy. Transient parking (free) is right in front of the terminal/restaurant and you can have a rental car delivered right to your bird. KFFZ is good to small aircraft, too. You'd just drop into FFZ from the SE, under Bravo.

Geez Tim, that wouldn't be in plastic containers, would it? Even with an anti-static Mr. Filter (they are BTW, not carbon fiber as someone suggested), some people on here think things will blow up. ;-)

(It was interesting to watch the AOPA's video this week with the six plastic containers lined up on a dock waiting to fill the float plane.)

Doug,

No one said they were carbon fiber, the black model Mr. Funnel is carbon impregnated and conductive and should be grounded.

The post was written to help insure safety for those who are using this fueling method.

A Challenger was burned to the ground using a black, conductive Mr. Funnel, when a spark set the plane on fire.

There are references to this online.

I didn't see the AOPA video. Was the actual fueling of the plane shown or just the jugs visable on the dock?

All fueling devices should be bonded together and grounded, eliminating and difference in potential.

Dave, have fun planning your trip.

My wife and I had a great time from PA to GA. I'm now planning a solo trip out to San Diago. On long trips I seem to worry more about having shelter for the plane than anything else.

Rich

Nothing grounded to the wood dock. :) It is video, and yes they were fueling. Where did you see anything about the Mr. Filter being carbon impregnated? (I don't see why they would do that. What I have seen in ads for the black filters - didn't know they made any other color - is they are "anti-static.“

I don't use mine to fill my plane, but use it when I fill my Tough Jugs at the station.

The thing I find a bit odd is that I have never seen anyone bond or ground any other vehicle car, boat, RV, or ATV, no matter what they are made of. I take precautions, but until relatively recently all small planes were filled with gas cans.

And, has anyone here checked the resistance between the exhaust pipe and the filler to see if that is actually bonding more than the engine and electronics. If you are bonded this way you could conceivably be provision a path for a static jump if they are not at the same potential. I suspect there is a reason that the nav lights don't just ground to the wing or spar, right?

Doug,

I first heard about the carbon make up on the Challenger forum, sort of like our forum here.

We saw pictures of this plane burned to the ground, Literally, from the use of the black Mr. Funnel.

The owner was severely burned also.

Just google " properties of the black Funnel " and it will describe the carbon make up and the conductivity of the filter.

Rich

Doug,

I suspect that the reason the nav lights are not bonded to the wing structure is to ensure there is no spark from the nav light ground wire in the event that it became loose. Especially dangerous with wing tanks. The ground, in this case, is brought back to the grounding bar.

Sorry I went off topic with the first post, but thought it important enough to discuss.

Rich

My apologies Rich. I found the composition on their site, it is purposely conducive and should be grounded/ bonded when you use it directly to fill the plane. I also found a warning against using them to fill containers from the pump which would seem to make the funnel generally worthless for my situation. I have asked the company about this. --Sorry we hijacked the thread.

Archived