Best Drop-In Replacement Landing Light Bulb

FlyingMonkey

I know this has been discussed a few times...

I need to replace my landing light bulb, and want something that can just drop-in as a replacement. An LED is preferred, but I don't want to re-engineer anything, just want to replace it and go. What is the current best option for that? The lens in front of the bulb also has a crack in it, so an option that deletes that lens or otherwise mitigates it would be an added bonus.

Thanks!

I replaced mine with a LED quite awhile ago. It is brighter than original and has worked flawlessly since installation. Offhand I don't remember the part # or source but I did find it on this site. Maybe somebody with a better memory can point you in the right direction.

http://www.1000bulbs.../LED-00233.html

There are others and someone may post 1-2.

Now for a more subjective question:

Roger, the bulb you posted has a 20° beam. According to the spec sheet, that bulb will light a 5.3 foot circle at 15 feet. The same company makes the same bulb with a different lens that has a 36° beam, lighting a 9.7 foot circle at 15 feet (albeit more dimly, of course). So basically one throws light farther in a narrower arc, and the other throws light in an area twice as wide and presumably half as bright.

I'm almost certainly *never* going to use this as a real landing light, seeing as I'm a Sport Pilot and all. What I do use the landing light for is as an anti-collision light when entering the pattern or in poor lighting. For example, I was flying home at dusk the other day right into the setting sun which was right on the horizon. There was no way I'd see an airplane in front of me, so I turned on the landing light to give other planes ahead (with the sun at their back) a better chance to see me.

So the question is, what works better in this anti-collision role, a wider beam so a larger cone of traffic can see it, or a narrower beam that casts light farther out in the narrow cone dead ahead where the most dangerous traffic is from a collision perspective? Discuss, and please show all your work. :D

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting the thread.. Appears the Soraa 00233 has not been available for a while. With the improved technology the Soraa 00957 puts out the same light but using lower power. Instead of 11.5 watts it now uses 9 watts. Only difference is instead of a 20 degree beam the new one is 25 so still a narrow beam. Now using .75 amps...

According to their website they do again. Per the specs I received I believe these are the ones they are using now. I think he said they are $89.00 plus an additional $65.00 for the LOA... But for those that have ELSA or want to pursue your own LOA these may fit the bill...

Archived