iFly GPS now for Tablets

CT4ME

The popular iFly GPS system is now available as a tablet App, now on iPad and very soon on Android. I haven't used the iFly system, but have looked at it and know several people who swear by it. 69.99 /yr. There is a 30-day free trial. Aero News story. If the program is stable and contains the same feature set as the dedicated device, then this instantly puts the program on the same level as FF, WX, and GP.

screen480x480.jpeg

screen480x480.jpeg

I swear by I-Fly, but I don't expect to run it on tablet or phone, at least not primarily.

One of the important features of the dedicated unit is its very bright, daylight-readable display. I don't think any phone or tablet can match that.

Another issue with the new implementations may be the sensitivity of their screens. The dedicated unit has a "deadened" response to accommodate aircraft turbulence. You have to hold our fingure down for a moment before the touch-screen is activated. I don't know if this touch sensitivity can be adjusted on the Android and IOS units, or if its part of the the operating system.

Mike Koerner

• 3 weeks later...

Got the iFly 720 GPS on my "look up" list from the postings here so I read about it. Looks like a really interesting setup combined with the Skyguard TWX ADS-B. Also looks like the iFly app, which provides the "similar" GPS unit's features for tablets might be good for iPad or Android too. Many features are well thought out. Things like a "delayed" touch screen for use in turbulence and higher resolution displays for better tablet viewing in daylight are examples.

Tim, not sure I totally understand how all this works. Based on your comments, it appears that your are planning on using a Android tablet with the iFly GPS app to get ADS-B. Wondering which unit you use to provide data? Maybe the SkyGuard TWX to provide data for ADS-B in/out for your Android tablet? Or, are you using another mfg. receiver (ADS-B in) or dual band transceiver (ADS-B in/out) to provide data for the Android? I note that iFly also says iLevil single band receiver is OK to use for ADS-B in only.

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like iFly is now available for Android... as of Jan 23.  It's marked as "beta", so expect some rough spots or missing features.  Considering the Beta status, the 30 day free trial may be extended.  I'm downloading 2GB of data (SW USA) right now.  One thing that looks promising:  The product is supposed to work with ADS-B units like SkyGuard

tim

MovingOn, I'm really interested in the SkyGuard TWX setup running on Android.  As I recall, you may not be flying a CT?  Where do you plan on installing the box?

Anticept, I believe that the Garmin GDL39 provides hard wire connection to a 496 for traffic but doesn't provide Wx.  Wondering if the SkyGuard TWX might also provide hard wire to a 496?

I briefly tried out the iFly app for iPad and it shows a lot of promise but won't replace FF (for me).  The charts are very well done from a clarity perspective but it lacks several key features:

* Landscape mode

* Seamless charts -- works like paper charts as opposed to one continuous chart that auto switches between TAC and Sectionals

* No iPhone version

* Cannot file a flight plan nor get a tracked weather briefing (actually pulling a briefing down with your DUAT id)

* I couldn't figure out if (or how to get) a flight plan to factor in winds aloft

All of these are on the 'list' of enhancements according to iFly.

Usability was fine and the airport images are a nice touch.  Once they address the above, I'll give it another try.

I called iFly and spoke to a a helpful person.  I wanted to find out what they recommended for remote mounting the Sky Guard TWX Vision Pro unit.  The iFly person said he has installed two small exterior "fin" antennas on the belly of his aircraft (non-CT).  One for the 978 UAT freq. transmit (ADS-B "out") and one for the 978 UAT receive (ADS-B "in")  This just leaves a power supply and running the GPS antenna to a window - maybe the rear quarter window or the roof window?  All would be out of sight and connected by Bluetooth.  Looks like it would be a nice installation in the cargo area of a CT.  $1,400 plus $150 for the two external antennas.  Add $400 if one wants to add AHRS capability.

MovingOn.  Thanks.  I didn't mention the third antenna, the 1090 "in" antenna, because I plan to either not use this or will find a way to get this near a window.  Or, one could add a third external blade antenna for it too.  The iFly person said he has remote mounted his Sky Guard and he personally doesn't use this antenna.  His reasoning was that it provides air to air from commercial aircraft and he gets this traffic repeated on 978 providing he's within range of the ground based ADS-B stations.  I believe that most of the ground stations will be fully operational by the end of this year and will offer full coverage for the U.S.  One other thing he mentioned was that the commercial guys will probably also be monitoring 978 UAT and good possibility they'll get his signal and avoid him.  Based on your knowledge and use of the system, do you see any problems with using this method? 

Archived