Gun thread - excised?

FastEddieB

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mods absolutely have the power to do that if they see fit.

But I thought it was a worthwhile discussion between adults who had opinions on the matter and who wanted to voice them.

Over-moderation can diminish a site like this.

There's a time and a place to lock threads, or to banish them to something like "The Spin Zone" over on the PofA site.

But making them vanish seems a little rude to the people who took the time to make their feelings known on the matter, while simultaneously hoping to provide useful information.

And comaraderie - like the idea of a "Fly & Shoot In"!

I think Andy and I are on board for that, anyway!

The mods absolutely have the power to do that if they see fit.

But I thought it was a worthwhile discussion between adults who had opinions on the matter and who wanted to voice them.

Over-moderation can diminish a site like this.

There's a time and a place to lock threads, or to banish them to something like "The Spin Zone" over on the PofA site.

But making them vanish seems a little rude to the people who took the time to make their feelings known on the matter, while simultaneously hoping to provide useful information.

And comaraderie - like the idea of a "Fly & Shoot In"!

I think Andy and I are on board for that, anyway!

If we can find the right time and place, I'll be there.

The thread was deleted because the discussion degraded into posts concerning people, rather than the topic. It was probably a bit heavy-handed, and won't be handled that way in the future. It just takes time to individually edit posts and PM people when they've crossed the line.

Come on people... think about a post before you hit "submit"... Is it knee-jerk reaction or a personal attack? Let' keep things on topic and no political rants. 1/3 of my posts never make it to the board. As my mom used to say... "there's a clutch between your mind and your mouth - Use it !!!"

Tim

"Come on people... think about a post before you hit "submit"... Is it knee-jerk reaction or a personal attack? Let' keep things on topic and no political rants. 1/3 of my posts never make it to the board. As my mom used to say... "there's a clutch between your mind and your mouth - Use it !!!"

_______________________________________________________________________________________

I fully agree with Tim and I too delete post before I hit submit because they just don't belong. I just opt out of the conversation.

Four letter words, telling people off, personal attacks and political and or religious rants don't belong. It's only a few so please ride herd and let's keep it friendly, civil, informative and aviation related in some shape or form. It may have been heavy handed by admin to dump the post, but some here aren't getting the message and can cause others to run from our forum.

The gun conversation and aviation was okay until it took an ugly turn towards people and political arguing on a 2nd amendment gun rights and when an admin warned people they continued anyway.

I think its important to remember we're all guests here.

Lots of people behind the scenes work hard to make this a place we can visit, at virtually no cost. What a deal!

On the other hand, I tend to think of it as a party. Try to imagine you're invited to a party, and you're sent a list of topics that you're simply not free to bring up or discuss. I'd probably pass on that party.

Everyone here has free will. If a thread takes a turn we don't like, its the easiest thing in the world to simply not click on it.

So, I think pulling that thread was a mistake, and takes away from the free exchange of ideas.

Then again, I don't even have a CT, so I understand my guest status here. So my plea for "moderation lite" is simply a plea to make the site better.

But all that's just my opinion, and I'll try to stick to whatever protocols are in place.

Yet feel a bit censored at the same time.

Oh, and I do, in fact, have both a 100 yd range and a 100 ft range on my property, just a few miles from Copperhill airport.

And maybe this spring we can try that "Fly-in & Shoot" into Copperhill, for anyone who's interested.

As far as food, there's El Rio in Copperhill. Karen and I are both vegetarians, so if you're on our property, these guys are off limits:

10749103466_7bcc8f0c38.jpg

It even veered into a rant about abortion.

And that WAS one bridge too far.

I think, like most of the other sites I frequent, this site would benefit from a politics/religion forum.

Examples:

COPA - Hot Section

Pilots Of America - Spin Zone

i-bmw and advriders - Jo Momma

etc. etc.

They are there for adults to engage in spirited discussion about anything and everything. It keeps their "dedicated" forums clean of potentially contentious topics. Check out the Spin Zone of Pilots of America for an idea of what they're like. Or don't - but you'll find me there mixing it up on all sorts of threads about just about anything.

As an aside, there have been a couple forums like those listed above that I gave up on because they became too incessantly contentious and nasty and personal. But again, it was a decision that I could make on my own as an adult.

FWIW, this forum is not called "Anything Goes". It is called "CT Flier Forum". Since it is the only CT forum in the English language (that I know of), I would rather not have to give up on it because it got too nasty and personal. And, by the way, every time it takes a turn into politics, nasty and personal (and depressingly predictable) is exactly what it becomes.

. . . "I started this originally with a simple question - does anyone have experience carrying a handgun in an FD. . . .

I think FastEddie is asking an honest and relevant question about a fly-in that involves a range outting. And I still want to know if anyone has experience with this important topic. Carrying firearms in a plane is a new thing for me, and I would like to gain benefit from other experience if it's out there.

I have to agree with you.

With the CT's generous range, long cross-country flights seem to be pretty common. I see nothing wrong with having personal protection onboard, in the event a forced landing is necessary in the wilderness.

I think an informed discussion is prudent.

And that WAS one bridge too far.

I think, like most of the other sites I frequent, this site would benefit from a politics/religion forum.

Examples:

COPA - Hot Section

Pilots Of America - Spin Zone

i-bmw and advriders - Jo Momma

etc. etc.

They are there for adults to engage in spirited discussion about anything and everything. It keeps their "dedicated" forums clean of potentially contentious topics. Check out the Spin Zone of Pilots of America for an idea of what they're like. Or don't - but you'll find me there mixing it up on all sorts of threads about just about anything.

As an aside, there have been a couple forums like those listed above that I gave up on because they became too incessantly contentious and nasty and personal. But again, it was a decision that I could make on my own as an adult.

I agree Eddie,

Long ago on the 1st CT forum I suggested a Hangar Talk forum and after it was created I posted a letter from the prime minister or Israel. My letter and the forum was deleted and the mentality has survived and exists now on this site.

Pilots are political and religious people to an extent and when they interact conversation on these topics is normal. There is no need for the censorship.

There are plenty of other forums just for those topics and started with those topics in mind. This one is related to and started for aviation, CT's and LSA aircraft. If I want to buy a car I go to a new car dealership and if I want to buy new furniture I go to a furniture store. Each has their place, but you don't by sofas at Toyota. Some of the things that have happened here if left unchecked has ruined other forums and some nearly abandoned and I for one am glad admin steps in to keep the peace. The old forum and this one for the first couple of years didn't need any policing, but some made it necessary. I'm sure the admins would just as soon never to show up, so don't give them a reason to do so and they more than likely fade into the sunset.

Kind of like the new sheriff in town.

No hateful weapons allowed in town, partner. :)

Here's a political forum:

http://www.political...m.com/forum.php

Here's the 2nd amendment forum:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/second-amendment-gun-legislation-discussion/

Here's a religious forum:

http://www.religious...igious-debates/

Now people have some where to discuss politics and religion so we can save this one for aviation..

I agree Eddie,

Long ago on the 1st CT forum I suggested a Hangar Talk forum and after it was created I posted a letter from the prime minister or Israel. My letter and the forum was deleted and the mentality has survived and exists now on this site.

Pilots are political and religious people to an extent and when they interact conversation on these topics is normal. There is no need for the censorship.

Absolutely agree CT . . . . . :)

I simply value the unbridled exchange of ideas*, and kinda don't like having to watch what I say for fear of having my posts vanish.

I just end up spending more time on more open sites, and less on ones that I feel are too heavily moderated.

What can also happen is a certain "staleness". What I mean is that to a newcomer to a site like this, it can be like drinking from a firehose - so much is new and informative, that it's like a kid in a candy store. Over time though, the same topics keep recurring, and less and less is new and informative to those who have been around a while.

But, again, since this is a service provided for no cost for the benefit of a specific community, it's hard to get too annoyed by it.

I just feel the site has been diminished a tad. Others will feel the opposite.

So it goes...

*on topics as wide ranging a religion, Obamacare, George Zimmerman, the Mideast wars, gun control and abortion, I find articulating my position and hearing the arguments of others to be a net benefit. It challenges my preconceptions, and I feel that, over time, minds can and have been changed. Any time I think "good point", or "I did not know that" and change my position a tiny bit, I think the debate was time well spent. And, believe it or not, education can occur and minds do get changed, albeit slowly, in online discussion groups. So, for now I'll just spend a little more time on those sites and a little less here.

There was a time when we couldn't post the name REMOS and that level of censorship lead to this site being created. Things quickly came full circle. If you are the censor or calling for censorship you see no harm. If you are being censored you feel as though you are being treated like a child.

Internet communication is more anonymous and less polite it is true but what offends me is how the place is run by cops motivated by snitches, its childish. I"m 60 years old and generally liked in my community, I just don't need a cop with an eraser following me around.

I left that site after being threatened by a mod for a violation.

My crime?

The discussion was how to get oil stains off the belly. In my naïveté, I mentioned that many Cirrus owners used "Scrubbing Bubbles" bathroom cleaner to good effect.

I was warned that mentioning other brands (Cirrus) or non-aviation products (Scrubbing Bubbles) was inappropriate to a CT site.

I left that site, and never looked back.

That's not what we have here, but beware the slippery slope.

I don't think anyone cares if you talk about Remos, guns in the cockpit or anything else. It's only after it degrades to personal attacks and name calling. Leave that out and any subject really doesn't matter. I look at it this way, if you wouldn't talk to your mother that way then it may offend others too. It's not just 3-4 people here to consider, but the 794 members and the hundreds of guest from around the world. What message do you want to relay to all of them about yourself and the forum?

Eddie,

It only diminished when people allowed it to degrade and started personal attacks and slanderer comments. Admin didn't make people attack each other. That hasn't happened before this last 8-10 months. So if you feel it went downhill then take a look at why and make those changes. Like the saying goes sometimes change starts at home. There are only about 4-5 people that could hit the delete before sending once in a while. I know the admin would just as soon never show up so ask yourself why they had to in the first place after all this time? Because admins started to get emails from offend people. Stop that behavior and everything is back to the way you like it.

Keep it like it was with educational and informative information with a few jocular comments between friends and you'll have: "I simply value the unbridled exchange of ideas".

Name calling and personal attacks are neither educational or informative and have no value as an exchange of ideas.

Ed,

"Internet communication is more anonymous and less polite". It shouldn't be. It should be just as respectful as it would be face to face and it it should show the same respect that you would want in return.

Archived