Gun thread - excised?

FastEddieB

Another example of how these discussions degenerate. This one went to bigotry and ended with an FU. This is why aviation forums should stick to aviation. There is plenty of disagreement there, but not quite as volatile.

I thought asking a question about carrying something in an airplane was avaition related. At what point is something no longer aviation related? Am I supposed to go to a golf forum to ask about carrying golf clubs in a CT?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although it did not necessarily apply to this topic, there are politicallly charged, aviation related topics. How does the admin plan to approach these? I tend to (generally) post in relation/reaction to someone else. I don't take things personally, even when they are meant personally. I also (believe it or not) delete a lot of posts, or modify them before I send them. I prefer this to be an aviation forum, but it will be almost impossible to stop comments from one of the nearly 800 members from crossing into the political or religious realm on occasion and sometimes I will respond.

I do my best to keep my responses correct and will admit my errors when they are countered with a factual post - which happened in this situation. I learned something it the exchange and I appreciate it.

I would suggest exiseing with a scalpel, or locking the forum and starting in in a separate discussion forum as has been suggested, and even there limit personal attacks.

I guess it doesn't matter that much to me, I come here for the CT information and to ask CT related questions, but don't ask me to ignore comments by others once they have been posted...that leads to only one side being represented - the most aggressive (and often the most uninformed).

It doesn't bother me that the thread was deleted, although there was some worthwhile info there, aviation and non-aviation related. It is the job of the moderators to make that decision.

As the "British guy" who posted early on that thread I'd like to apologise for my off hand and ill thought remark.

What had never crossed my mind in considering the post is that you fly over terrain where something might well kill you in the event of a forced landing (we might get trampled by a herd of cows but probably nothing worse!) and in that context even I can see the case for carrying a gun.

Ian,

Until not too many years ago it was Alaska state law that you must carry a firearm as part of your survival gear. The idea was not so much to ward off predators but to be able to take down small game so you would be able to eat. For example rabbits or ptarmigan for which a high powered handgun would not do well since, if you actually hit one, there might not be much left. But, you also wanted to be able to discourage predators and be able to drop a moose or caribou. So, my preferred weapon was a 12 ga. 18" barrel shotgun with a variety of ammo from birdshot to slugs. Fortunately, even after 40 years flying there, I never ended up in a survival situation.

Alaska law no longer requires a firearm to be part of your survival gear partly because of Canadian firearm laws and the numerous GA aircraft that travel through Canada from Alaska to the lower 48 states, or visitors to AK from Canada. All of them would have been illegal while in AK airspace.

However, it is fairly easy to obtain a Canadian permit, at a port of entry, to carry a shotgun.

I thought asking a question about carrying something in an airplane was avaition related. At what point is something no longer aviation related? Am I supposed to go to a golf forum to ask about carrying golf clubs in a CT?

Excellent point Tom.

I agree about moving on or to PM's.

I think we all now have a fairly good idea of what respect and forum etiquette should be to reflect our polite and thoughtful personalities.

p.s.

I personally see no reason we can't discuss aviation related politics because aviation , the government and the FAA can make some subjects hot topics because they do affect us. They are politics that do affect us and so long as they stay discussions and or debates without personal attacks and 4 letter words tossed in for extra drama they should make great discussions.

Pride and respect is a personal commitment. It is an attitude which separates excellence from mediocrity.

How are guys doing that without de-icing? Is that a problem?

If I were you I wouldn't worry about de-icing. Just get in it and go. Heck, find a freezing level and see if anything can stick to the super composite and carbon fiber structure of the CTLSi.

Your aircraft has superior wing design and when you couple that with a super effecient engine the things that usually affect less technologically engineered aircraft should not be a concern of the CTLSi pilot.

Of course as PIC you will have to make that decision yourself. And my opinions are not advise.(Just sayin)

Last October while waiting for frost to thaw, a pilot in SD told us they use Rain-X De-Ice Windshield Fluid as a lifting surface de-icer.

He worked at the airport and said it had not caused any damage. It has a freezing point of - 25 F.

The MDS can be found here http://econtent.autozone.com:24999/znetcs/msds/en/US/332611

I have never tried and wonder about damage to the plane, but it is a good option to know about.

... And I am an expert skier too. How about skis, anyone carryong those in a CT? How about flying to resorts? How are guys doing that without de-icing? Is that a problem?

When flying to ski resorts remain clear of clouds and precip. If you get ice while parked on the ramp the FBO will trade it for some cash or face it into the sun.

So I read through this thread, and I don't know anymore about carrying a firearm while flying than I did at the beginning. I have a concealed permit and carry when not in a plane normally, and would prefer taking something with me when flying in the Rocky Mountains, or let's say I'm traveling somewhere and want that protection when I get into the city.. but now I'm confused if that's legal (not carrying it on my person when flying, don't see the need) but can I throw it in the luggage compartment in one of my bags?

From what I understand, there is nothing illegal about this.. but this thread coming up caused me to second guess that... I was also under the impression I could even carry concealed (because I have a permit) as long as my permit is good in the state I'm flying in... just like driving.

So I read through this thread, and I don't know anymore about carrying a firearm while flying than I did at the beginning. I have a concealed permit and carry when not in a plane normally, and would prefer taking something with me when flying in the Rocky Mountains, or let's say I'm traveling somewhere and want that protection when I get into the city.. but now I'm confused if that's legal (not carrying it on my person when flying, don't see the need) but can I throw it in the luggage compartment in one of my bags?

From what I understand, there is nothing illegal about this.. but this thread coming up caused me to second guess that... I was also under the impression I could even carry concealed (because I have a permit) as long as my permit is good in the state I'm flying in... just like driving.

That is correct. Check your state laws, but there is nothing federally that prohibits you from carrying while flying, or at the airport (except for in TSA secure areas). My state until recently had a law prohibiting firearms in airport buildings, but that was repealed a couple of years ago, so you do have to check your local laws. nra-ila.org is a good place to find local gun law information for the various states.

You can also fly through any state, even if it does not recognize your permit, if the firearm(s) are unloaded in a locked case separate from any ammunition in an area not accessible to you in flight (e.g. the baggage area). This is also true of automobiles.

BTW, your mileage and comfort level might vary, but I would carry in the airplane if I am legal in the point of departure, final destination, and any stops in between, even if overflying areas where I could not legally fly. Technically not legal over those areas, but the only chance of running afoul of the law is if you have to make an emergency landing, and then mind would be focused on other problems. I go out of my way to avoid areas that don't allow firearms, so it's rarely an issue for me.

Archived