Belly Cam

FlyingMonkey

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the view Roger, but the airplane takes up a lot of it. Next time I'll try tilting the view down more. I won't get as much of the gear, but it should be a nice bird's eye view of the ground.

The wheels really only have annoying vibration in a narrow speed range on the ground. They also shake a little on liftoff, so I usually hit the brake lever once in the air and that kills the vibration. My instructor's CTSW has the same issue, so I don't think it's more than an annoyance.

I take it your wheels aren't balanced? Sometimes on the ground and applying just a tad of brake can cause a bit of shake. It usually isn't very bad.

Yeah, the Harbor Freight wheel balancer I had was so out of round I returned it. I plane to balance the next set, but I'll need to get a better balancing tool first. With the extreme camber the factory wheel have they are wearing fast, I'll probably need to change them in another 20 hours or so. The nosewheel tire is the one that was on the plane when I bought it, it still looks fine.

It was very complicated. I stuck the GoPro suction cup on the bottom next to the ELT antenna. :D

I just wouldn't feel comfortable that way. The CTLSi has a header tank drain hole near that spot (about the size of a quarter). If I were mechanically inclined I could probably figure out a way to anchor a tether to the inside of the baggage compartment through that hole.

I just wouldn't feel comfortable that way. The CTLSi has a header tank drain hole near that spot (about the size of a quarter). If I were mechanically inclined I could probably figure out a way to anchor a tether to the inside of the baggage compartment through that hole.

If you tether it and it comes off, it will beat the snot out of the underside of your airplane... and might still break loose anyway. I have put the suction cup in several places around the plane, it has never loosened even a tiny bit. Others have done this too, I think the GoPro suction mount is very reliable.

Yeah, the Harbor Freight wheel balancer I had was so out of round I returned it. I plane to balance the next set, but I'll need to get a better balancing tool first. With the extreme camber the factory wheel have they are wearing fast, I'll probably need to change them in another 20 hours or so. The nosewheel tire is the one that was on the plane when I bought it, it still looks fine.

Two things, with the Marc brakes you don't need a balancer. You can balance them on the airplane very easily. If your going through tires that fast you likely need to check your alignment, the camber won't cause that much wear. The alignment can also cause the wheel shake.

If you tether it and it comes off, it will beat the snot out of the underside of your airplane... and might still break loose anyway. I have put the suction cup in several places around the plane, it has never loosened even a tiny bit. Others have done this too, I think the GoPro suction mount is very reliable.

Let me understand the logic Andy....don't worry it never comes off so no need to tether...but if it's never going to come off anyways why worry about the damage a tethered gopro will cause flapping in the wind? If we both agree with the premise that there is a .1% chance it falls off, if it does fail would you rather damage your plane or take the chance you hurt someone or their property? I'm not looking to start an argument... have seen it played out many times on COPA site. Just expressing my view that I would prefer a tethered or even better bolted solution (tie down ring?) from a liability and sleep at night perspective. I would agree the population density of the area you fly over may influence your view.

In a steady wind a camera hanging from a tether will flap... just like a flag flaps in a steady wind. The blunt faces of the camera, its weight and the wind gradient near the aircraft skin will exasperate the situation. Even at our minimum flight speeds I would expect the banging to be quite severe. I would not be surprised to see a tethered camera eat through the aircraft skin.

The "bungee through a hole" idea is interesting. But it would have to be a long bungee with the camera close-coupled to the hole (in other words the aircraft end would have to be secured to a point inside the aircraft a good distance away from the hole) in order to have enough force to hold the camera tight against the hole after it falls from the mount and yet not so tight when its on the mount that it is pulled off. And even at that, the camera would chatter against the aircraft skin and quickly abrade it... Unless the hole were big enough to pull the camera completely inside the aircraft after it falls.

Another alternative would be a tether so long that the the camera trials free of the aircraft, so far behind and away from it that it can't hit anything.

I recommend against tethering the camera to the plane in any manner other than the last, and even that is speculative.

Mike Koerner

Does anyone know if typical aircraft liability coverage on their owner's policy will cover damage or injury caused by a suction cupped camera that falls off in flight? Same question for damage (this wouldn't be liability section of policy but hull coverage) to your own aircraft caused by tethered camera that comes loose from suction cup during flight.

Looks like it's time to experiment. I keep mine tethered to the tie-down. I'll leave it off the suction cup and go fly. No better way to see. The shape and weight isn't a flag and I'm betting it won't flap, but just lay back. I'll let you know.

Just a fast taxi will give you some information, at least enough to know whether it's safe to try in flight.

Just curious, does anybody know of a GoPro suction mount that departed in flight? I've never heard of one doing so, the mount is really on there. Especially on these smooth composite skins...I don't think I could pull mine off without damaging something...

That's the only way I use mine. I think one person here did loose one, but if it was quite secured well when put in place then it could come off. I clean the surface and make sure I press it in place well. I have tested it to the advertised 150 mph and it stayed put.

I get my BFR today, I'll take my camera.

Archived