Carb dis-assembly tip

Just an FYI,

I have had a few people call me about the fixation screw that is down inside the carb piston in the center barrel that holds the needle in place. This gets removed when you do a full carb rebuild or change the needle clip position. It is a straight tip screwdriver slot and many have tried to unscrew this very tight screw and have twisted the top right off sad.png and then have to find a way to fix the problem. shocked.png This screw is held in place with a little blue Loctite from the factory. The best way to remove this is to heat the piston center barrel with a heat gun or take a small butane torch and aim in down and around the barrel that the fixation screw is seated into. Once this is hot the screw comes right out without any damage. smile.png When putting this back in place do not apply a ton of blue Loctite to this screw. It is a fine thread and a tiny tiny drop will do just fine because you may need to remove it again one day.

I hope this helps save a few frustrating moments along the way. smile.png

If I recall this particular fastener correctly, it has a very wide slot for the screwdriver (most screwdriver blades are too thin and assume a diagonal position in the slot, making only two points of contact). So, in addition to other suggestions, it is also useful to grind a flat screwdriver blade so that it is the correct thickness for the slot. This will help limit damage to the part (which is alloy and easily damaged by a poorly fitting screwdriver blade).

Even with a wide screwdriver that barely fits the barrel I have seen fixation screw heads twisted off. They really need heat. I never take one out any more without heat. I made that mistake 8 years ago. the was the first and only one. Nobody should get anything hot enough to warp any metal or you have done something terribly wrong. It will get hot to the touch, but you only use enough heat to get the fixation screw to turn out freely and the heat isn't directed on the piston, but down inside on the fixation screw barrel..

Archived