One empty gas tank????

procharger

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The CTLS does not have a fuel selector, it has a on/off valve.

Tom you may know this but for clarity to everyone else the CTLSi has both. The same Fuel Shut Off valve as the CTLS, and the fuel selector (which has no off setting just left, right or both). Has anyone seen an official explanation of why the fuel selector was added? I don't think it has anything to do with fuel injection. I am guessing it is because they have found imbalanced use of fuel is so common due to flying characteristics/sight picture that to combat it they offered a fuel selector (with no off). As such, I would expect to see it on any new CTLS whether injected or not. Anyone know?

Tom you may know this but for clarity to everyone else the CTLSi has both. The same Fuel Shut Off valve as the CTLS, and the fuel selector (which has no off setting just left, right or both). Has anyone seen an official explanation of why the fuel selector was added? I don't think it has anything to do with fuel injection. I am guessing it is because they have found imbalanced use of fuel is so common due to flying characteristics/sight picture that to combat it they offered a fuel selector (with no off). As such, I would expect to see it on any new CTLS whether injected or not. Anyone know?

I was told either in Rotax recurrent training or by Flight Design that the reason for the selector was to return fuel to the tank from which it came.

I was told either in Rotax recurrent training or by Flight Design that the reason for the selector was to return fuel to the tank from which it came.

Where does it go when on "BOTH"?

To both? Sound like the valve could get complicated - like the Cirrus dual valve only moreso.

Can anyone post a diagram of the CTLSi fuel system. Just curious.

Why would it be complicated?

A simple way to do it is to have a T junction, and in the junction you would have a 4 position, 3 way ball valve. Look at the top of this illustration (T port): http://www.threewayb...nd_position.jpg

If you don't want fuel shifting from one wing to the other (why would this be a concern? :P), then you can put check valves on the inlets.

To both? Sound like the valve could get complicated - like the Cirrus dual valve only moreso.

I don't have a diagram, and I have not read the POH (I think they are calling it that now). Just relaying what I was told when the airplane was being introduced.

Another post by paul m said, "(which has no off setting just left, right or both)"

I thought he was referring to the CTLSi.

Does no one have a diagram?

The CTLSi has a fuel selector with Right, Left and Both which controls the gravity feed from the selected tank to the header tank, there is not an OFF selection on this valve. There is a On/Off lever like the CTLS/SW that cuts the feed and return to/from the header tank via two shutoff valves.

The header tank on the CTLSi is vented to the Left main tank so the fuel returned from the engine would fill the header tank then proceed to the left tank via the vent I would assume.

Why would it be complicated?

Well, like in the Cirrus, one part of the valve selects where fuel is coming from (which tank) and another part of the valve selects where the extra fuel is going to (which tank).

The valve arrangement you show would have to be "double-ganged" to achieve that.

But all will be made clear when someone finds a fuel system diagram - which I'm pretty sure is in the POH.

Anyone?

Thanks, Roger.

If I was sending a student on a checkride in one of these, I'd make a handful of copies of that and sit down with the student with a highlighter and make sure he or she could trace the flow of fuel to and from the engine in various valve positions.

Did the same with the fuel and electrical systems in the Cirrus, and would recommend that for the CTLSi as well - it really helps cement what's going on.

As an aside, there's been some (justified) criticism of planes like my Sky Arrow and the RV12 that carry fuel in the fuselage, because of the fear of fire.

I think its proper to mention that even the 1.6 gals of fuel in the header tank could be problematical in a fiery crash.

I, for one, would not worry about it and do not worry about it, but if its seen as a weakness in other aircraft, for consistency it should be seen in that light here as well.

Ed, I must say the rocket's proximity to the header tank gives me more pause than the 1.6 gallons upon a crash. As brought up in this post, Roger says the tank is protected from the rocket. Nonetheless, looking forward to the first chute save in a CTLSi.

http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/2518-ctlsi-rocket-motor-vs-header-tank/

Ed, I must say the rocket's proximity to the header tank gives me more pause than the 1.6 gallons upon a crash. As brought up in this post, Roger says the tank is protected from the rocket. Nonetheless, looking forward to the first chute save in a CTLSi.

http://ctflier.com/i...vs-header-tank/

I'm looking forward to nobody needing to be saved by the chute.

Archived