CT front suspension check

Here is a good FYI safety check and inspection,

The front suspension all all our CT's have red polyurethane shock dampeners in the front suspension tube. There used to be springs and all those should have been tossed out and these dampeners installed years ago. There are 6 of these separated by fender washers. These are a consumable item and after many years, hours or hard nose wheel landings these can smash down and deform or even disintegrate. It isn't a major safety item, but needs to be address immediately if you have front suspension up and down FREE play. to prevent excessive wear and further repairs. Thereplacement is fairly easy to do and takes about 1 - 1.5 hours. Here are a couple of pictures of what could happen. I have replaced several of these now. Here is a video too to show an easy check during a pre-flight and this should also be used during an annual. The cameraman and actor can use a little help :P, but I'm sure you'll get the idea. These videos usually aren't planned and are a spur of the moment shot.

post-3-0-66536900-1389400832_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-26112000-1389400862_thumb.jpg

Yawn.

I still don't understand this. My aircraft still has the original springs. And about 1500 landings, most of them student. Every year I remind my mechanic to check the nose gear at annual. Every year he says there's no problem.

Hi Jim,

Not every plane had problems,but many did due to too much up and down travel in the system that wore out the slot and pin. The front end would also bottom out for many.

If you have someone push down on your tail, do you have any wiggle either side to side or up and down? Side to side was the worst wear with the spring. It actually cost some new front ends. I find the majority don't know what they are looking for or how to check for it. That's why I thought I would post a little video to help make owners or mechanics a little more vigilant and how to do a quick easy test.

Archived