Maintenance on the steering rod

Just and FYI on the CT steering rod,

The CT steering rod is connected through a linkage to the steering head mounted on top of the front suspension. At times these steering rod ends may need to be taken off due to some maintenance or the need to adjust the steering.

If you try and loosen the lock nut on the rod without holding the rod itself many times you will break loose the lock nut on the other end which is located in the center console in the bottom of the instrument panel. If you cause the nut to break loose most times you will need to remove the lower center panel and reach in as far as your arm is long and put a wrench on a nut totally blind and then have a second person tighten the rod from the outside. You can not put a hand in here and see what you are doing. This is a royal PITA. DO NOT CAUSE THIS TO HAPPEN. It is very easy to prevent. If you leave it loose the rod end threads will slowly eat away at the rod threads and cause them to become really loose. Any time you want to tighten or loosen the steering rod lock nut ALWAYS hold the rod so it can not break loose. Watch the video.

p.s.

I have many CT's come into the shop with this rod loose. I hope the video helps so sole from the fun job of tightening the interior lock nut.

The best way to get down into the tunnel where this lock nut is located is just to bite the bullet and take the tee'ed heater tube out of the way that sits more or less just above where you will need to place your hand.

p.s.s.

I think the cameraman and actor still need some serious help. :lol:

It should be noted that on any rods, you should never ever adjust the jamb nut (lock nut) without a wrench on the rod too, in any aircraft. You have no idea what you could damage if too much torque is applied. Imagine twisting a bell crank in the wing, or cracking a bushing.

Just a side note.

It was brought up about clamping metal to metal on the rod. I don't normally advocate a metal to metal clamp and I have tried rubber and cloth, but many times the rod turns anyway. The rod is stainless and doesn't show teeth marks. When trying to clamp with cloth or rubber the pressure may get great enough to deform the rod. After you have had to go into the console and tighten a few of these putting a scratch on a rod becomes minimal. If you ever have to tighten a few inside the console you'll say the same thing. For me, better just not to go there any more.

Archived