Choosing Tires, requesting opinions

FlyingMonkey

We have a different problem! Our nose wheel tyre has warn generally very well with a little scuffing on the port side, which we put down to lateral take-off load (we could be wrong, but we've checked alignment). However, we've noticed some serious distortion to the starboard rim and we've grounded the aircraft for replacement. 

The issue is that there is an inherent weakness in spun aluminium which led me to think about replacement. 

Is there a suitable wheel that's LSA approved?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I switched to the Matco wheels and brakes, I switched from the original Aeroclassic 6-ply tires to the 8-ply version.  I'm very happy with them.  They have a flat profile, unlike the 6-ply that are rounded; I think the rounded profile contributes to more tire wear if your wheels have any excess toe-in or negative camber at all.  Also the heavier rubber wears longer.  You have to run them at 45psi and they ride a little firmer, but are not what I would call "harsh".

Did you do your weight and balance update as part of the tire switch? :P

And as roger recommended, I run my 6-ply pressure around 27psi. Even though they look rounded, they sit pretty flat on the pavement.

Not yet, but I am due for one.  I wanted to wait until all the new parts were on (wheels, brakes, autopilot, etc) before re-weighing.  I'm a little scared to see how much useful load I've lost.   ;)

I was having bad scrubbing issues on the previous tires before I switched wheels and brakes.  The Matcos might have fixed it, but I wanted to take a "belt and suspenders" approach.  I will probably try the 6-ply tires again when these wear out.  Previously I was getting about 40 hours out of a set of tires.  :(

They stamped the weight on each wheel on mine, and i weighed to verify it. The master cylinder weight change is about an ounce, so it is negligible (anything less than 1 pound), so you just simply have to note that.

The arms of the wheels are found on your previous w&b form.

Fyi, if you were only getting 40 hrs, either you were changing too soon, or you have a serious alignment problem.

They stamped the weight on each wheel on mine, and i weighed to verify it. The master cylinder weight change is about an ounce, so it is negligible (anything less than 1 pound), so you just simply have to note that.

The arms of the wheels are found on your previous w&b form.

Fyi, if you were only getting 40 hrs, either you were changing too soon, or you have a serious alignment problem.

I had both severe toe in and negative camber issues.  I had to shim the left wheel to the allowable limit for toe-in.  I think it's mostly solved now, the wheels don't appear to be showing accelerated wear now. 

Archived