Has NASA lost its way?

Ed Cesnalis

How many CT aircraft fly in the Antarctic?  Right, none.  The same as the number of times NASA and climate models should be discussed on CT flier.  

Oh well, plenty of other places to actually discuss airplanes with people who want to discuss airplanes and not advocate for their politics.  How hard is it to find places to discuss politics on the web?  

This is a Random Thoughts topic.   And a topic of grand importance IMHO.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many CT aircraft fly in the Antarctic?  Right, none.  The same as the number of times NASA and climate models should be discussed on CT flier.  

Oh well, plenty of other places to actually discuss airplanes with people who want to discuss airplanes and not advocate for their politics.  How hard is it to find places to discuss politics on the web?  

Our national aeronautics agency should be independent, free of politics there for the good of our nation and advancement of [the science or art involved with the study, design, and manufacturing of air flight capable machines, and the techniques of operating aircraft and rockets]. Thinking Pilots are drawn to this national agency.

The politicization of this agency to the point where we now rely on Russia for manned space flight coupled with its bizarre political mandate to to improve the self worth of a mostly foreign class of people is heart breaking.  Discussion of this transformation begins with recognition, we haven't come that far yet here.  One side wants to silence the other before we can even acknowledge the loss of a true national aeronautics agency.

Question:  Is there any technology with origins at NASA that is part of our FD LSA? 

Here's 1 that CT pilots use:

Temper Foam

013_opt.gif

As the result of a program designed to develop a padding concept to improve crash protection for airplane passengers, Ames Research Center developed a foam material with unusual properties. The material is widely used and commonly known as temper foam or “memory foam.” The material has been incorporated into a host of widely used and recognized products including mattresses, pillows, military and civilian aircraft, automobiles and motorcycles, sports safety equipment, amusement park rides and arenas, horseback saddles, archery targets, furniture, and human and animal prostheses. Its high-energy absorption and soft characteristics not only offer superior protection in the event of an accident or impact, but enhanced comfort and support for passengers on long flights or those seeking restful sleep. Today, temper foam is being employed by NASCAR to provide added safety in racecars. (Spinoff 1976, 1977, 1979, 1988, 1995, 2002, 2005)

Computer Technology

Better Software

020_opt.gif

From real-time weather visualization and forecasting, high-resolution 3-D maps of the Moon and Mars, to real-time tracking of the International Space Station and the space shuttle, NASA is collaborating with Google Inc. to solve a variety of challenging technical problems ranging from large-scale data management and massively distributed computing, to human-computer interfaces—with the ultimate goal of making the vast, scattered ocean of data more accessible and usable. With companies like InterSense, NASA continues to fund and collaborate on other software advancement initiatives benefiting such areas as photo/video image enhancement, virtual-reality/design, simulation training, and medical applications. (Spinoff 2005)

Structural Analysis

021_opt.gif

NASA software engineers have created thousands of computer programs over the decades equipped to design, test, and analyze stress, vibration, and acoustical properties of a broad assortment of aerospace parts and structures (before prototyping even begins). The NASA Structural Analysis Program, or NASTRAN, is considered one of the most successful and widely-used NASA software programs. It has been used to design everything from Cadillacs to roller coaster rides. Originally created for spacecraft design, NASTRAN has been employed in a host of non-aerospace applications and is available to industry through NASA’s Computer Software Management and Information Center (COSMIC). COSMIC maintains a library of computer programs from NASA and other government agencies and offers them for sale at a fraction of the cost of developing a new program, benefiting companies around the world seeking to solve the largest, most difficult engineering problems. (Spinoff 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1998)

Since its inception in 1976, Spinoff has featured myriad award-winning technologies that have been recognized by NASA and industry as forerunners in innovation. Here is a chronology of these winners, including the year(s) they were featured in Spinoff and the year they were awarded one (or more) of the following:

https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2008/award_winners.html

Don't think that was NASA - invented in Switzerland in 1955https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_de_Mestral

Oops!

I guess that's a popular misconception, then.

Perhaps because of this, from your link:

"The first notable use for Velcro came in the aerospace industry, where it helped astronauts maneuver in and out of bulky space suits."

Oh, well, I'm going to go have a glass of Tang!

Shishmaref was built on permafrost that has begun to melt. Erosion, Surge and melting permafrost are real problems for Shishmaref but they are not sea level rise.

The Wall street Journal Opinion page is not all opinion as it points out the source of the 97% number. In this article the sources are Kerry and Obama. There is much published on this bogus number and many who stand on the number no mater how embarrassing. I particularly like the Sierra Club's testimony on it.

Low lying land masses will always face issues but once again it takes a decade for the sea level at the current rate to rise 1".

Given 10 years to rise an inch at current 2.6mm/year increase do you really think the subject is settled and not even up for discussion?

Demanding that the opposition be silenced using Rico laws does not sound like science to me.

Doug, next time you are in California stop by and we can tour the receding glaciers in the Sierra Nevada from my CTSW.

California's Palisade Glacier shot from my CT

Did you read the article about the islands in the Pacific?

My parents lived in Whitefish, MT. Just west of Glacier Park. I have also been to Jasper National Park in Canada where buses now take you to a glacier that used to be at the side of the highway, but if I get down that way I will take you up on your offer.

You might want to come up to ND sometime. Maybe in October. We set a record last month - 97 degrees. It beat the records going back to the 1800s by 5 degrees.

So, Senator Cruz, Exxon, et. al. have an opinion NASA presents the 97% here. I prefer their, and all the scientific groups listed data to them.

http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

In addition, anecdotally, did you hear about the rain in Death Valley, the typhoon season in the Pacific, the drought across the West, the drought in Australia, the first crossing of the Northwest Passage, etc.?

I prefer to look at data and reputable scientific sources treasurer than opinion pages and those "I am not a scientist, but..." people.

Enough said... now back to our regular programming.????

Did you read the article about the islands in the Pacific?

Yes,  Its from USA Today and typically goes left. It address low-lying islands in the 2nd paragraph and concludes with this "officials say rising waters will submerge entire nations by century's end unless concerted action is taken."

It is another prediction of catastrophe by 85 years from now "unless concerted action is taken"  That statement implies we can stop the rising seas.  Obama says 2008 was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and the planet began to heal, its all rhetoric. The oceans have been rising for over 12,000 years and will begin to recede when the interglacial comes to an end not when we make more Al Gore's rich by taxing carbon.

These nations are not less than 8" above sea level and therefore will not submerge in 85 years.  Now that we see from NASA that 90% of the world's ice, mostly land based is growing reducing the rate of sea level rise why should we believe the conclusion printed by USA Today?  

The statement that "officials say rising waters will submerge entire nations by century's end unless concerted action is taken." is just rhetoric too.

Question:  Is there any technology with origins at NASA that is part of our FD LSA? 

Winglets

Groves in Runways to reduce hydroplaning

Carbon Fiber tech

Hang Gliders invented in 1957 by NASA

LED lighting

Brake Linings to reduce heat and increase efficiency

Glass Panels (NASA contracts led to the use of integrated circuits in aviation)

Joy Sticks on the Dynon (first invented for the Apollo rover)

Aircraft deicing systems

Structural Analysis Software Systems

Ballistic Parachute Tech

Boeing Direct Route system cutting fuel cost for commercial aviation

FlyByWire

its a warning from a lender

In a report Tuesday, the Manila-based lender says sun-baked tropical nations from Samoa to the Cook Islands that rely on tourism income could become less attractive destinations as global temperatures rise.

No science there just more rhetoric

OK, I used your source wsj and not the opinion page. I used NASA. I used USA Today. I could have used Bloomberg, or one of the journals cited in the NASA article, but a pattern is emerging here. The only thing that counts for you are those that agree with what you already think no matter what the science, or authoritative source, or methodology.

There is no reason for continuing to belabor this. There are no fact sources that will change your beliefs.

Its not just the source but the content.

Most articles are about the catastrophes that await us if the climate warms and the  sea levels rise enough. 

To date the models and predictions are wrong.

The kind of fact sources that would alter my beliefs might be an ice free arctic as predicted, or a diminished amount of antarctic ice but we now see with our own eyes published by NASA that the opposite is true.

Additional Hurricanes as predicted might be persuasive but we have had no major Hurricanes in the USA in 9 years.

If unaltered data like the satalite data showed warming in the last 18+ years I would re-think but that warming isn't there either.  The only thing to support AGW are the predictive models which make no allowance for an 18 year pause.

I don't agree I have a closed mind.  Maybe its the warming proponents that are so stuck in their beliefs that they spend the season stuck in the Antarctic Ice that they were there to celebrate (the open water) have closed minds?

The photo below published by NASA is persuasive, it is not a warning about an ice free picture but instead a real current photo, a reluctant admission by NASA that antarctic ice is increasing dramatically. 

antarctic_seaice_sept19_1.jpg?itok=dOXhV

NASA Data Blows Gaping Hole In Global Warming

NASA Admits It’s Unable to Solve ‘Mystery of Why Global Warming Appears to Have Slowed’  http://tinyurl.com/qhplz95

List of scientists opposing Global Warming faux models: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scientists_opposing_the_mainstream_scientific_assessment_of_global_warming

When objective NASA satellite data, reported in a peer-reviewed scientific journal, show a “huge discrepancy” between alarmist climate models and real-world facts, climate scientists, the media and our elected officials would be wise to take notice. Whether or not they do so will tell us a great deal about how honest the purveyors of global warming alarmism truly are.

NASA Admits It’s Unable to Solve ‘Mystery of Why Global Warming Appears to Have Slowed’  http://tinyurl.com/qhplz95

In summary, NASA reports that deep ocean water temperatures neither explain the increase in ocean surface temperatures, nor why global temperatures appear to have paused in recent years.

I'm not sure a simplistic answer will help us here however I moved from Michigan to Hawaii because of the climate and the longer happier lifespan published at the time I don't live below falling rocks or mudslides I have refused to live next to the ocean in the tide flood zone. Fighting off the urge to live near where I was born and raised which is a very strong pull too many as well. we all make conscious choices of where to live. We now live not on the edge of a cliff at all but rather a thousand feet above sea level with a months food stored in our Hurricane refuge underground room. Because I am a farmer and study the weather carefully I understand short-term weather cycles and the constant Trend changes in climate. There for I make no predictions and am loth to believe the pundits.

As we age considerations change and we now have a mapped path to a near medical facility as a consideration .

I have a sled and a surfboard propped up near my front porch always like to hedge my bets. I have an idea why don't we all just moved uphill a little just in case!

Previous comments are an attempt at humor by idle hands and Siri and I are not meant as any recommendations to anyone but rather to lighten the dialogue. Life is short have fun and don't take ourselves too seriously .

Spelling punctuation grammar courtesy of Siri find

Farmer

We are all free to believe whatever we want. I believe we have probably passed the tipping point on climate change. IMHO, the only people who deny climate change are the same people who want less government, lower taxes for the wealthy, and elimination of social programs, etc. The reasons are obvious.

No such thing as 'denying climate change,' since the phrase implies the issue of Global Warming is settled - it is not.   In fact, it can more truly be said that those who insist Global Warming exists despite having no evidence to back the claim are 'denying there is no global warming.'

Al Gore is a lunatic, fraud, and snake-oil salesman...and those that want to pull an oar in his boat are either selling the same snake-oil for the same motives, or are sadly easily taken in by snake-oil salesmen.

And, this is what we get when CT Flier becomes a political rant site. "You sound like..." "No you sound like..." Oh well. CT Flier used to be a good site. Now its just fights about what Rotax means about motor oil and an argument about climate change.

Archived