Just about the time you pay off your ADS-B...

FlyingMonkey

As usual, they have it backward.  They should have mandated the 406 first.  It's relatively cheap, and has an immediate and definite impact, especially for person needing it.  121.5 isn't even monitored by satellites any more, is it?   

Tim

121.5 is only monitored by ground stations.

The retrofit kits are about 1/2 of an Aviation Unit (Fast Eddie's definition of 1 Aviation Unit equals $1000) so about as 'cheap' as possible  <_<

On my list of things to do but hasn't popped to the top -- probably next annual.

Like ADS-B, 406mhz ELTs should be in everyones aircraft.  A radio too.  Sorta time to weed out the junk in the skies.  Of course the CTLSi comes with a full 406mhz ELT and a Mode S XPNDR with Altitude Encoding.  Mode S should also be mandated.

I disagree.  If you fly mostly in populated areas, a 406MHz ELT does not buy you much.  And one can make the case that you are better off with a 121.5MHz ELT and a satellite personal locator beacon (PLB) than with an updated ELT.

Why should Mode S be mandated?  Just so everybody has traffic?  Does the NORDO J3 Cub need mode S?

I think the small airplane world is uniquely diverse. I cannot imagine what the collector car world would look like if all the older cars were required to have air bags retrofitted as well as collapsing steering columns and padded dashboards before they were allowed on the roads. You don't need the latest and greatest to have something cool.

406 is a good idea but, ideally, should be a choice for non-commercial aviation.  What does it matter to the government if I crash in the boonies and am not found for several days?  Sure, it's a VERY good idea but I'm not a fan of legislating personal safety.  I also believe a full-frame parachute is a must have but I don't want it to be legally mandated.  Doesn't matter in the ELT case as it's already part of the regs.

Where to begin on Mode S?  Hmmm -- maybe pointing out that it is an outdated technology that was never rolled out US-wide and is slowly being unplugged?  It's only available in metro areas as well.  Not a good idea to purchase a vanilla Mode S device.  I'm not sure on the date but I'm pretty sure Mode S was halted somewhere in 2007 when it was decided to invest in in ADS-B.  Now then, ADS-B is built on top of Mode S with an extended squitter (ES).  Some Mode S devices can be upgraded to support ES so perhaps you meant mandating ADS-B out?  Surprise -- it is mandated in 2020  :D

406 is a good idea but, ideally, should be a choice for non-commercial aviation.  What does it matter to the government if I crash in the boonies and am not found for several days?  Sure, it's a VERY good idea but I'm not a fan of legislating personal safety.  I also believe a full-frame parachute is a must have but I don't want it to be legally mandated.  Doesn't matter in the ELT case as it's already part of the regs.

Well said, and I agree. People should be free to determine their own risk tolerance. I won't ride motorcycles because I think they are dangerous, but I don't want to tell others they can't ride them.

What does it matter to the government if I crash in the boonies and am not found for several days?    :D

Because it's the government that is going to $pend those several days, trying to find you.  Not to mention the time spent by countless S&R volunteers.  But, since an alarming percentage of ELTs don't work right, it's really no different than not having one.

Seems easy enough to me.  No 406, no search and rescue mission.  Let each owner decide.    

In addition: a sticker in the cockpit notifying passengers that the aircraft is not equipped with an emergency locator, and in the event of a crash, rescue services may not be available.

Archived