Oil test date and spring loaded oil drain plug

Eagle Wings

Areoshell oil for rotax has a retest date. What is that and is the oil not good? Where, how, and who retests the oil. It seems to get shipped with no regard for the retest date. Can someone explain My a&up is not clear about what we are supposed to do.

Also,does anyone have any thoughts or opinions regarding replacing the oil drain plug with a spring loaded drain plug oil changes can be done a lot easier?

Actually the oil drain plug is not approved, but I really dislike the spring loaded oil drain plug because it takes forever to drain the oil. With the original it drains quickly so I can move on and when it drains that quick it is more likely to take contaminants with it.

A retest date is almost like an expiration date. It technically is when a sample from a batch is supposed to be taken and double check to make sure nothing has changed. Unopened oil will last a long time verses opened oil I don't really know anyone that follows retest dates on oil. Maybe someone like the military.

I asked the same thing about other oils. They supposedly have a shelf life between 3-5 years, but as long as they are unopened, there isn't really a problem.

The #1 enemy of oil that sits around exposed is oxidation. On the same note, oil that sits in an engine, the #1 enemy becomes the oil itself, because combusted fuel and water mix to form acid within it.

Archived