CRM vs, CRS

Rich

On the lighter side:

This afternoon my wife and I were going to watch a Netflix movie. Being the gentleman, I asked her to pick the movie.

Turning on Netflix exposed a series I was watching which was on Air Disasters, documented causes and remedies.

Naturally, I watch this in the evening when she's sleeping. She asked me about this and I told her I like to watch and learn so hopefully, I don't make the same mistakes.

I thought it was a good time to talk to her about this, especially after viewing the L1011 crash in the Everglades. The accident was caused by a distraction brought on by a inoperative gear down light and the subsequent unintentional disconnect of the auto pilot by bumping the control yoke forward. No one was practicing CRM. Who's got the airplane? All three crew members were fixated on the gear lite.

My wife and I do a lot to X/C together and she likes to be isolated on the radio and read her Kindle. Flying many flights through the north east corridor I thought this would be a good time to talk about "CRS." Well, she laughed for three minutes straight and asked me if that's what I really wanted to do!

I said no, I meant "CRM" Crew Resource Management."

She came back with " Aren't you glad I was practicing."

Archived