LSA is larger market than some think

CT4ME

Another thing I've noticed at my little airport is that the LSA people fly a lot more.  There's a light sport within CTAF range and talking at least half the time I go out.  This is far out of proportion to the number of LSA airplanes at my airport.

I think there's a lot of reasons.  Retired is one.  We have a retired university prof that puts lots of hours on his plane.  Other factors are the per-hour cost, the ease of getting the airplane out and putting it back in, and the fun of an LSA.

Hard to say for sure all the reasons (ease, economy, fun, time to spare).  I fly my CTsw more than most other GA pilots are flying their planes at my non-towered airport (KIOW).  Easy to tell this time of year, since the snow is not disturbed in front of their hangar doors.  I am not retired, either, I just like flying the plane.    

It's the compact size and light weight. The difference between an LSA and a 172 is as much a difference as a 172 and a king air. If you have't flown in a little taildragger, go try it. There's a reason that there are old cubs still flying around.

There's flying, and then there's feeling what it's like to fly.

I just find my CTLS plain fun, in a way I didn't find a G1000 172 or an Cirrus SR-20 to be.  I recently described it to someone like the miata I used to own.  Never had more fun driving a car than that one with the top down at sunset along the PCH in Los Angeles.    

Archived