iPad Remount

FlyingMonkey

Is that a full size Ipad or the Mini? The ball mount on the Ipad holder seems to be near the side of the Ipad and not the center. Those sort of things mean we need to have the correct type of holder and the right length of the arm. Can you provide the part numbers so we don't make purchase mistakes while trying to reinvent the wheel? Thanks Andy

I have a full-size iPad, and used this ball to attach to the panel:

http://www.marvgolden.com/ram-diamond-base-with-1-ball.html

This cradle (make sure to get the one with the ball mount included):

http://www.marvgolden.com/ram-ez-roll-r-cradle-for-ipad-round-base-ball-mount.html

and this extension arm between the two balls:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/ram36.php

That is the 3" extension arm, and fits well.  If I had it to do again, I might get a longer arm to give myself a little more adjustment room to get it angled toward the pilot a little more.  6" might be a little too much, 4-5" is probably perfect; more adjustability is also good to keep the sun glare off the screen.

The iPad cradle has two mounting points for the ball, one centered and one offset.  The offset ball works better if you want the iPad to overlap the edge of the panel as mine does so it's right next to the EFIS or other instruments.  If you'd prefer the iPad more to the left side, you can use the centered mount point.  Just be aware is you do that the that centered mount is lower, so you might need to mount your ball to the panel higher or lower that I did to get it to sit right, depending on how you orient the cradle (mine is with the power cord at the bottom, but you can flip it so the power cord is at the top).

You might also want to make sure you can rotate to landscape.

You can, but you get tight on space between the window and the panel.  You'd probably have a tough time getting to the window vents.  I think portrait works much better in this location, but YMMV.

As a reminder, I used the case/stand that came with the Otterbox for my iPad Mini, attaching the ball with Superlok tape:

11310034163_d228c11eac.jpg

I tried that with 2", 4" and 6" arms and still found it a bit "bouncy".

What really nailed it was more tape and a second ball and mount to triangulate the whole thing:

12908199974_49685c6abc.jpg

(rotated photo to show it more clearly on the open canopy)

I think those are a  2" and a 4" arm. Like I said, the "triangulation" really helps with rigidity of any mount, tablet or GoPro.

Since I am renting, I use a kneeboard that works very well.  However, I might try a suction cup mount which might work even better, especially with the ADS-B traffic feature.  How well would a suction cup hold a full size tablet?  Would I want a 4 inch suction cup or something smaller?

The standard RAM suction cup held my full size iPad just fine.

I think just two of Andy's would be functionally very, very similar, cheaper and more flexible for future uses.

Combined with a few arms of different lengths you could adapt it to many different aircraft, if needed.

Just a thought.

PS - I have a sh*tload of RAM stuff if you want to play around and see what works.

• 3 weeks later...

I just swapped the 3" extension arm for the 6" version.  The longer arm gives more adjustability, and lets me angle things better to avoid sun glare while the cradle is not in contact with the panel (to avoid vibration wear -- I might add a piece of rubber padding to the back of the cradle to eliminate this concern in the future).

I bought the longer arm and rotating mount with my suction cup RAM mount for Nexus 7.  I'll try it out tomorrow flying up to FastEddie's.

Your Nexus is lighter, you will probably have less vibration than my iPad.  Plus the window mount was less "vibey" than the new panel mount.  Neither is bad, but the panel vibes are more visible.

It was a nice setup, if one can avoid being distracted.

The single suction cup worked well mainly, I think, because the RAM arm was supported by the glare shield.

More to follow - just got home after wrapping up an extensive annual on the Sky Arrow.

Archived