Flying on the right side...so difficult

liltaka

I am currently practicing flying on the right side...it is amazingly different than left side and I am flying so arkwardly...

I finally passed the check ride, but I am back with my CFI for help with flying on the right side.

It is nice that my wife and I both have license, but I did not realize how different and difficult that is to switch seats...

My biggerst issue is "touch"...my left hand has much better control than right.  I also realized this when I am driving...I do heavily rely on my left hand and I see there will be a huge challenge ahead of me...but I will prevail.

Let me know if you have a similar issue flying on the opposite side.

I fly from the right once in a while with another pilot and demos. It may feel strange, but your eyes and mind know what to do and they are the primary part of the equation. Just relax and let them work. The hand control will follow naturally. Just don't over think it..

Concur.  Just flew my CTSW up to Denton from Houston for its conditional and 600 hr overload clutch check.  As a CFI-S, I've been flying from the right seat for most of the last year and this flight was the first one from the left seat in a long time.  (Put my wife in the right seat so she could see more of Dallas as we were on the west side of DFW going north.)  I'm right handed so flying from the right seat is actually more normal from me; flying in the left seat almost felt strange and I and to adjust back (felt rusty)!!

Hi Andy.  I just had my gearbox R&R'd due to low "torque to turn" with about 490 hours on my gearbox since it's last overhaul.  You are probably aware that the "torque to turn" is the torque to turn the prop about 30 degrees each way with the crankshaft locked which is not the same as the torque to break away the overload clutch.  This is supposed to be checked at each 100 hour or yearly condition inspection.  The torque should be between 22 and 42.3 ft. lb.  I would be curious to know your inspection turns up for this.

I haven't asked for the specifics; the work was performed at US Aviation in Denton.  I was told they pulled the gearbox and sent it to a Rotax service center for cleaning, even though they are rated as a Rotax "heavy" maintenance center.  I'll see if I can get any data; I'm kinda curious about it myself.

Technically they can't stop an A&P, or an LSRM-A with an A&P supervising, but, I wouldn't do it. They both (gearbox and crankcase) have a uniqueness that could lead someone who has not been trained could do major damage, possibly without even knowing it. It also takes some specialized equipment. IMO

The torque should be between 22 and 42.3 ft. lb. 

I checked mine today as part of my annual. Coming up on 400 hours.

My fish scale at 24" showed 16 - 18 lbs, putting me at 32 - 36 ft/lbs., pretty much in the middle of the range.

Technically they can't stop an A&P, or an LSRM-A with an A&P supervising, but, I wouldn't do it. They both (gearbox and crankcase) have a uniqueness that could lead someone who has not been trained could do major damage, possibly without even knowing it. It also takes some specialized equipment. IMO

Actually you technically can't. You must have data to support the repair, something rotax will not give you. You can try to write your own data, but they are going to be VERY scrutinous. Unless you are experimental though.

"Technically they can't stop an A&P, or an LSRM-A with an A&P supervising,"

This is only partly right. The FAA says you must have some training, it just doesn't have to come from Rotax or have some like experience. Things like plugs, oil, ect... most A&P's have prior experience with according to the FAA. That said most still try and put anti seize on Rotax spark plugs which is a no no so that shows you how easy it is for an A&P to make simple mistakes from lack of knowledge or training on a specific engine.  A&P's as a rule have never dismantled and maintained a Rotax gearbox and I would bet the only training any A&P ever got on how to do that came from a Rotax class. The Heavy maint. facilities, like myself, can do prop strike inspections and any other maint. on the gearbox, but only the service centers can pull a clutch apart and clean out the lead. I get gearboxes from around the country fairly regular basis. Maybe 2 a month. If you use 91 oct. the clutch doesn't need to come apart. 

I would never even think of letting someone who has never serviced a Rotax gearbox touch it. Most don't even use the correct sealant if they have to fix a simple leak.

Bottom line if someone turned an A&P in for working on a Rotax gearbox and he has never had a Rotax heavy class or had this particular procedure taught to him he could be in hot water.

"Technically they can't stop an A&P, or an LSRM-A with an A&P supervising,"

This is only partly right. The FAA says you must have some training, it just doesn't have to come from Rotax or have some like experience. Things like plugs, oil, ect... most A&P's have prior experience with according to the FAA. That said most still try and put anti seize on Rotax spark plugs which is a no no so that shows you how easy it is for an A&P to make simple mistakes from lack of knowledge or training on a specific engine.  A&P's as a rule have never dismantled and maintained a Rotax gearbox and I would bet the only training any A&P ever got on how to do that came from a Rotax class. The Heavy maint. facilities, like myself, can do prop strike inspections and any other maint. on the gearbox, but only the service centers can pull a clutch apart and clean out the lead. I get gearboxes from around the country fairly regular basis. Maybe 2 a month. If you use 91 oct. the clutch doesn't need to come apart. 

I would never even think of letting someone who has never serviced a Rotax gearbox touch it. Most don't even use the correct sealant if they have to fix a simple leak.

Bottom line if someone turned an A&P in for working on a Rotax gearbox and he has never had a Rotax heavy class or had this particular procedure taught to him he could be in hot water.

Wait, it's the sprag clutch not the gearbox that requires the major service centers to service then? I can't remember which parts exactly that rotax will not allow people to do in the field.

As for anyone curious about the anti-seize: mostly, this applies to the graphite anti-seize compounds, which do not play nice with the aluminum. Rotax does recommend a silver based anti-seize because it plays much nicer, and doesn't interfere with the spark plug grounding. Check the manuals for the specific instructions.

Wait, it's the sprag clutch not the gearbox that requires the major service centers to service then? I can't remember which parts exactly that rotax will not allow people to do in the field.

As for anyone curious about the anti-seize: mostly, this applies to the graphite anti-seize compounds, which do not play nice with the aluminum. Rotax does recommend a silver based anti-seize because it plays much nicer, and doesn't interfere with the spark plug grounding. Check the manuals for the specific instructions.

Topic creep here.

Needs to go under Gearbox maintenance. nor something.

I fully agree Roger. I was trying to say what was legal, not what made sense. I could see an A&P claiming equivalent gearbox experience from a variety of places although I am with you that, like many other things on these engines the gearbox is unique.

You are a lurker. That's the word for "topic creep". :)

Nice comment Anticept. Hmm. Lurker at 206 posts...

Didn't know this was your private forum.

I would argue that under topic of flying from right hand side and then discussing gearboxes is in fact toipic creep.

I guess you sent this and insulted the guy.

Seems like a pretty silly thing to be offended about, i was only offering the guy the common word for following but not posting...

I guess i mistook the tone behind his wording, i thought we were having a bit of light-hearted forum banter and i was only playing along.

Archived