Sky Guard ADS-B question

Rich

I had one question to ask The Sky Guard folks before buying their Transmitter. How do you get your info into the unit for transmission

not having a smart phone or I-Phone? Dave, from SG, stated that you'd need one to transfer the Squawk code that is given by ATC to the SG Tranceiver.

I may be missing something here. Is this unit made specifically for tablet or smart phone use? Do you need to re-program the unit for each new squawk code?

Dave, from SG, stated that you'd need one to transfer the Squawk code that is given by ATC to the SG Tranceiver.

I may be missing something here. Is this unit made specifically for tablet or smart phone use? Do you need to re-program the unit for each new squawk code?

This correct. You will need an Android or IOS app to change squawk codes which means you will need to enter the code twice when assigned a code from ATC. Minor inconvenience, but not a big deal to me.

MO,

Personally, I don't like the idea of needing a smart phone to send messages to the SG Transmitter. If that's the only way, then I'll need to wait until 2020 nears, hoping the prices come down from Free Flght so I can send the info through my GTX 330 ES Transponder.

This would be much more expensive but would eliminate the need for another portable device.

If you remember, I'm set up with the Garmin products. 796, GTX 330 ES Transponder, SL30 and the GDL39.

Rich, I have your same setup except I have the 327 Mode C transponder. Replacing with the 330 ES then adding a certified GPS was cost prohibitive to me; probably net of over $4000.

I'd consider waiting as well if I already had the 330 ES. All you need is a certified GPS and that'll run you about $2500 today. Units like the SG will probably start driving these down sooner rather than later.

Archived