NTSB Judge says FAA cannot stop commercial UAS

Doug G.

Most "drones" are small little lightweght quadcopters. I'm personally find with those.

Anything that gets beyond a certain distance from the ground or fixed object, or beyond a certain weight, should require some basic training.

Nearly all of them will be short range copters. Very few people will be able to handle an RC plane for anything more than flying at a local field, and those of us that run FPV equipment finds it costs a LOT for even a basic setup for only a few minutes of running time. This stuff isn't new.

As for someone hovering over your house with a camera: i can understand that concern, but it really isn't going to be an issue. Someone would really have to take an interest in you, and it would probably be someone you know anyways.

I prefer middle ground approaches. I don't think lightweight quad copters and little styrofoam 2 mph planes are an issue. There are a lot of neat things you can do with them; check out FPV stuff on youtube.

I also feel that fearing the worst of a technology to push regulatory oversight is a bad precedent to set. Some regulation? Sure. But let things develop a bit before jumping on the government bandwagon with both feet. Regulations should evolve hand in hand with technology, allowing it to grow and evolve while taking reasonable precautions of safety, not write the book then tell people "this is the only way you are allowed to do this!"

Plus, if we let it evolve for a bit, then write laws on it, we can more clearly define boundaries for the technology instead of just guessing and broadstroking, which can lead to outlawing legitimate uses.

In government, close oversight, to me, means filling out 72 forms just to be heard in a committee about the possibility of filling out more forms to submit a request to fill out more forms relating to the use of drones in a project :). That's why i jumped.

On another note, pulling in random directions also means there is a much higher guarantee of "striking gold." I'm in favor of heading off directions that will definitely lead to problems, but in large part, let things be. As you said, just keep an eye on it.

I personally own a 'drone' plane and quadcopter.  The height and range these amateur, relatively inexpensive toys can achieve is quite impressive and down right scary !!  If you do some checking online - many r/c drones have reached in excess of 5 miles and 2000ft agl with basic setup.  Invasion of privacy is one thing.  Having falling objects from the sky is another.   There needs to be regulation on this.  I personally dont think i should be flying my drones any other place than an open field - just as if it was a regular rc plane or helicopter. 

There are units out there that can run $15k, have good run time. They are usually hex units and can have stabilized cameras and sophisticated GPS programmed guidance.

I know one person who will probably now start making money flying for a national spots network getting outside venue shots.

The problem is that the moment someone uses a UAS to violate someone's privacy, damages property, injures a person, or damages an airplane, the state and local law makers will go crazy. And, lawsuits will abound.

I steer clear of radio controlled areas where I fly because I don't know if they're active or not and don't want to look out and see one in my windshield someday.  You think a bird strike is bad, think how much damage a small quadrotor UAV carrying a six pack of Bud and a pizza could do?

One of the folks running the UAS program at UND believes commercial use will eventually require (some sort of) pilot training and certification and tail numbers for the UAV.

He also believes the first approved purposes will be for crop analysis and utility inspection. (Les populated areas.)

How long though before a lot of people carry these in their trunks in case they see a news event. Drone battle anyone?

I just hope that low altitude operations over land that you own or have permission to fly over will not have steep requirements. I know that UAV camera operations for selling property is a very hot item, and is much better than static photos.

• 2 weeks later...

So there I was, flying across the desert southwest. Up ahead is a big dry lake with a little gaggle of people on it. I decide to buzz them (Note to FAA: This is a strictly hypothetical story). I'm just about on them, low and fast - too late to turn... When I realize they're fling RCs!

-Name Withheld By Request-

Archived