912 iS information video

Jacques

Two things I plan on experimenting with, when I go experimental, is converting a ULS to port injection, and experimenting with variable electronic ignition. I expect to see the power and fuel efficiency gap close quite a bit with the iS engine with these two combined factors, but it won't ever match an iS since I can't change the volumetric efficiency without putting the injectors in the head. I don't feel like drilling holes in my combustion chambers :P

As for LSA horsepower: Sport pilots are limited to 100hp, but LSA aircraft can have as much horsepower as you can fit on it as long as it doesn't take it over Vh of 120 kts or the LSA weight limit.

Two things I plan on experimenting with, when I go experimental, is converting a ULS to port injection, and experimenting with variable electronic ignition. I expect to see the power and fuel efficiency gap close quite a bit with the iS engine with these two combined factors, but it won't ever match an iS since I can't change the volumetric efficiency without putting the injectors in the head. I don't feel like drilling holes in my combustion chambers :P

As for LSA horsepower: Sport pilots are limited to 100hp, but LSA aircraft can have as much horsepower as you can fit on it as long as it doesn't take it over Vh of 120 kts or the LSA weight limit.

There is no actual HP limit. Jabirus have 120hp.

There is no actual HP limit. Jabirus have 120hp.

Sonofab... I swear to god I read it right there in part 61, saying they aren't allowed to have an engine more powerful than 100 friggin horsepower. I had several discussions with people where they were asking why some LSAs had more horsepower than legally allowed, and I would make it a point that it's a sport pilot limitation, not an aircraft limitation.

And as I try to comb part 61 limitations for sport pilot, I can't find it. Did it change recently? If it never existed, where did the idea of the "100 hp limit" come from?

In any case, I'm happy the rule doesn't exist!

There is no limit on horsepower for LSA. You will not find it anywhere. It is just an assumption by many that keeps circulating.

As far as the carbon cub, it is such a draggy airframe I doubt it is possible to make 120 knots unless full power and losing altitude.

I should look up the VNE for the carbon cub.

There is a formula that takes into account the empty weight and horse power. Basically the more horsepower the lower the empty weight has to be to be in order to be LSA legal. This is a main reason the carbon cub is horsepower is limited.

Most carbon cubs are very close to 900 lbs empty but that does not seem to hurt their sales. Have you ever seem them demo at the airshows with two people? Do the math!

Mark 

HP doesn't give speed..but climb rate.

even on a sleek design like the CT...it's only 5 knots from the 80hp to the 100hp.

a turbo on the 912iS    should bring it at ~ 135hp   now we're talking ....HP//$$$$$

Archived