Oil pressure indication inop?

Doug G.

I don't know if this belongs here, but I cranked up today and the Dynon had a red X through the oil pressure gauge.

Since this is the first time I have started the engine since I updated my Dynon displays I am wondering if that is the issue.

Does a failed sensor give a red X or just an indication of no pressure?

Hi,

I've got analog engine gauges . I had the oil pressure sensor fail twice, at about 300hr intervals.

Pressure would swing from 20psi to offscale high, rapidly. I'm not sure how the d120 would respond.

I finally put in a Lockwood sensor relocation kit, at about 600hr, now 775 with no more trouble.

Sensor failure is likely if the sensor is still up at the oil pump. Oh, one simple thing to

check is the security of the wire with the nut at the sensor !

Bill

I have seen the dreaded red X.  CTLS at 11 hour since new, replaced the Honeywell oil pressure sensor and all was restored to normal.  We completed the update Dynon skyview from 5.? to 6.2 and it was very disappointing.  Not nearly the options that Dynon is capable of.  Maybe in a couple of years.  Spoiled by exposure to the 7.?  Better than before but not nearly enough.  Senior citizen here FD, let's  keep moving, I don't have forever.

Enjoy airplanes and alway will want more.

Farmer

Roger

Bad sensor I was told Instant Red X while airborne no other warning, high temp, etc. I just kept going on that 6 hour and 20 minute flight. unit supplied by FD and change out by Tom Baker 2011. No further problem.

Farmer

• 2 weeks later...

Doug, if you don't have the relocation kit from Lockwood, I'd highly recommend it.  I went through two VDO senders in 30 hours when it was in the block, and my pressure indications were often uneven between 20-45psi.  Now that the Lockwood kit is installed, it's 70psi on startup and rock steady 45-50psi in normal operation and never varies from that range.

First issue I have had and it is probably my own fault - I assumed that I could use Dynon updates, but should have only used FD updates. Now I am waiting longer because the wife of the software guy in Germany had a baby - if I have to wait, that's a pretty good reason. :)

First issue I have had and it is probably my own fault - I assumed that I could use Dynon updates, but should have only used FD updates. Now I am waiting longer because the wife of the software guy in Germany had a baby - if I have to wait, that's a pretty good reason. :)

Matt at FDUSA should be able to help you.  I had no problem after he gave me the unlock and download programs.

I used the unlock, and thought it had worked well until I started and then found the oil pressure indicator Xed out. I believe Dave Armando is usually the one that handles these things for FDUSA, and he had to go to his counterpart in Germany to get the specific configuration files for my units and sensors.

I used the unlock, and thought it had worked well until I started and then found the oil pressure indicator Xed out. I believe Dave Armando is usually the one that handles these things for FDUSA, and he had to go to his counterpart in Germany to get the specific configuration files for my units and sensors.

Bummer!

Archived