CTLSi in April 2014 Plane & Pilot

Tunny

My friend with a 2008 CTLS keeps detailed records regarding fuel usage.  I'll see what he shows.  My recollection is cruise @ 75% we run at 113 to 115 kts and burn 4.5 to 5 gal/hr.  At WOT,  which is 120kt, we use 5.0 to 5.5 gal/hr.  I'll check.  We are both pitched for 5600 to 5700 rpm @ WOT and altitudes flown are typically 3000 MSL or less.

I think you would need to be WOT at 7,500' to be at 75%

• 2 months later...

I have flown my CTLSi a total of 62.4 hours on the Hobbs or 52.4 hours based on the Garmin 796 logbook (i.e., flight time), and my fuel burn was 208.3 gallons.  Based on the Hobbs it is burning 3.3 GPH and based on flight time it is at 4.0 GPH.  My local flying is done at 4,800 RPM and XC at 5,050 to 5,100 RPM.  I flight plan using 4.0 GPH, but never plan to land with less than 6.0 Gallons in the tanks.  My longest leg was 7.1 hours Hobbs or 6.5 hours GPS and I landed with 10 gallons and started with 34 gallons.  On that leg at 10,500 my average ground speed was 110 knots at 5,100 RPM and Dynon was showing I was using 3.3 GPH.  This flight was on a very cool night.  For those wondering about night flight above 10,000, I hold a Commercial license and have a current flight physical.

Jim

P.S. The substantial difference in Hobbs and flight time is contributed to by most of the flying being in winter, so the Rotax warm up 122 degree takes a while and I do a complete preflight checklist including a Lane A & Lane B check, so it takes some Hobbs time to get in the air.

As a data point for the 912ULS, on my recent trip to Florida I flew about 450nm at 5500 feet. I was in a hurry to get there, and spent almost the whole flight at 5400rpm. I guessed at that rpm I would burn 5.5gph, and from my sight gauges on landing and how much fuel the tanks took, it looks like that was *very* close to the correct fuel burn number. I don't have a fuel flow gauge or other EMS wizardry, but my sight tubes are marked and calibrated.

Archived