My First Landing on Grass

FlyingMonkey

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andy, I noticed your fuel shutoff is not far from the closed position.

That is a common thing to notice when watching cockpit videos of the CT. If you think about it the handle in the closed position is over the ignition switch, and the placard is placed well above that. That causes tha fuel shut off handle and the placard to not line up.

I'm pretty much in agreement with that and the rest if your post.

But...

...I would caution that there are in some planes a combination of flaps as soft ground such that the plane will never accelerate to a speed where it can lift out of the muck. Nose too high can aggravate this, as can too much flaps. That, I think, is why POH's don't recommend it.

Experienced it once in a Cirrus, where in spite of 310hp, I was just not accelerating beyond a certain point, and had to lower the nose to just clear of the grass to accelerate. Used a LOT of the grass strip while figuring his out. Bear in mind, this was with only the recommended first "notch" of flaps.

Good idea is to always choose a landmark as a hard decision point - if you're not airborne by then, stop in the remaining runway to try again or reconsider. I nearly came to grief once in a Cessna 210 at Chalet Suzanne in FL by not doing so.

Exactly why I said "if it doesn't extend your roll" :P.

Also, if there's that much muck, one should walk the field to make sure the surface is still good enough to leave the ground. There's some grass fields around where I fly that have NOTAMs warning about conditions in the early spring, as the fields are incredibly soft and a plane can dig in.

Archived