Oil Change Filter Question

FlyingMonkey

One question - Owners can perform preventative maintenance and an oil and filter change qualifies - correct?  What about performing the test for the cracked journal in SB-912-064, they can't do that - correct?

What about part 2 of my question - is it correct that an owner cannot perform the test required by SB-912-064?  I think so, so my plan would be to do the oil change myself, get an A&P to do the test, cut open my filter, check the mag plug and safety wire it back up.  I don't have a filter cutter or the safety wire, so I figured since I would probably have to pay them for an hour, these 4 tasks would probably take about an hour.

Oh yeah a fifth task, engine log entry.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buy a filter cutter for $60 ( http://www.aircraft-spruce.com/catalog/topages/oilfiltercutteraviation.php?clickkey=4975 ) then you can do your own. Do your own mag plug too. Then the logbook label. We shouldn't over think or over analyze every little word and just keep them simple. Many times the letter of the law is not the intent of the law. Buy a pair of safety wire pliers at Harbor Freight and some safety wire at Spruce with the cutter.

The oil change would be okay, but I think checking the crankshaft journal check would need a mechanic.

You don't need to check the crankshaft every oil change. Just have it done at each inspection.

You have that new of an engine to fall within the serial range?

The oil change would be okay, but I think checking the crankshaft journal check would need a mechanic.

You don't need to check the crankshaft every oil change. Just have it done at each inspection.

You have that new of an engine to fall within the serial range?

Thanks Tom and Roger,

Yes my engine falls within the range (serial number 6,778.466).  I took delivery of the plane in Jan 2012, so the engine was delivered to the manufacturer in 2011.  I'm trying to get the SB check in line with my annual, so I'll need one more done "out of cycle".

The young A&P that did the first check for me is no longer working at the airport, so I'll have to find another one. 

Just as a side note, while I was looking for an A&P to do the first test, I went to my EAA chapter to see if any members were A&P's.  There weren't any (I was surprised), but they recommended a local A&P.  I went to see him and he nearly threw me out of his office - "I won't touch a Rotax, I had a friend that died behind one of those".  Funny how he blames the engine.

It's a pretty big airport with 3 FBO's so I should be able to find someone.

Archived