flight following

Al Downs

I have a flight planned from Racine WI going south along the shore of Lake Michigan. Of course I can't cross the lake or go into Chicago airspace so I will hug the shoreline at 2500 until south of Chicago and then climb to 5500 and angle off to Indianappolis. I want to use flight following which I have not done before. Do I need to explain this to the controller or do they just monitor you and give you advisories?

With flight following (VFR by definition, not in Class B airspace) routes and altitudes are your discretion although I find it helpful to let the controller know what I plan to do so they don't think I'm flying randomly around (unless that's my plan).

So telling him on the initial call would go something like this. I plan to fly south under Class B and when clear of Class B climb to 5500 and angle left towards Indianappolis. Do they insert that into their text box on the screen so as I get handed of the next controller knows what I am doing?

Thanks

I don't know what they pass on for VFR flight following (other than your N-number and destination), maybe there is a controller on the forum that can answer that.  If it were me I'd give them the routing as you've suggested although probably not on the initial call (too much information - although maybe not for a Chicago area controller).  Again, if it were me, I'd advise the controller when I started my climb.  Not required, and he can see it on your altitude readout, but it means he does not have to guess what you might be doing...

Of course if you enjoy the view down low, you may just stay at 2500'.  Just watch out for towers and tall buildings!

I'm sure you know this already, but even with flight following remember to look outside for traffic.  I'd guess the shoreline route east of Chicago can get busy with aircraft skirting the Class B.  I've had experiences with flight following where they don't call all the traffic.  It's another set of eyes, but not the only one :)

They don't need much except your position, altitude, and destination:  

"Flight Design 123CT, six miles north of Podunk level four thousand five hundred, VFR to Whoville, request flight following"

should do it.  Some pilots like to precede with a call like

"Podunk Approach, Flight Design 123CT"

and wait for the controller to acknowledge you first, then proceed as above when they ask you to go ahead.  Be ready to enter a squawk code on your transponder and ident if requested.

Aldowns,

Yes, ATC will pass you to the next controller's airspace until you reach your destination.

I've flown up and down the east coast using flight following.

On initial contact you'll give your call sign, departure airport, route of flight plus intentions and destination airport. ATC will give you your squawk code. They'll pick you up on radar, confirm this to you and your on your way.

From PA to Savannah GA I was handed off to 17 Different controllers along my route until handed off to KSAV tower. You should let them know if you need to deviate from your plan.

Please note that some ARTCCs and TRACONs do not push your information to other centers because they have not been modernized yet, and their systems can only see flight plans. Don't be surprised when you are told to call on a new frequency and the controller goes "who are you?" Just bring them up to speed.

Also, check to see if there is a clearance delivery frequency at your airport. If you talk to them, they will get you all set up before you get going.

The most preferable way though, especially if it is busy, is to file a flight plan. That way it's in everyone's system. Just do not forget to close it as you are arriving, and add a little extra time than predicted on the arrival time. ATC can change the ETA for you if there is a delay though.

Thanks for all the help.

I do have the changes for the lakefront at Chicago. I copied and pasted here for others that may have not seen it.

Chicago Midway Approach Procedures Might Create Conflicts

AINsafety » February 10, 2014

February 10, 2014, 1:45 PM

Flight crews headed for Chicago Midway Airport (MDW) should pay special attention to the new Rnav (GPS) Z Runway 22L approach published February 6. The new procedure could increase the potential for conflict with smaller general aviation aircraft traveling along Lake Michigan’s western shoreline. The new RNP/GPS procedure will bring traffic across Chicago’s lakeshore just south of the downtown buildings for a straight-in to 22L.

Currently, VFR traffic flying north and south along the lake remains clear of the Chicago Class B airspace by remaining below 3,600 feet. But traffic on the new 22L approach will cross the shoreline westbound at 2,400 feet, placing it in potential conflict with lakeshore aircraft. The Class B altitudes relate only to Chicago ORD, while MDW’s Class C airspace does not extend to the lakeshore, creating a no man’s land near the shoreline. The FAA is recommending that small aircraft transit the area below 2,400 feet while the agency examines the possibility of redesigning MDW’s Class C. Small aircraft are still permitted to fly the lakeshore above 2,400 feet if they choose.

The new MDW procedure was created to eliminate, or at least avoid, the uncomfortable “31 Center ILS, circle 22 Left” approach that forced large jets and turboprops into steep turns close to the ground to line up for 22L. Chicago’s downtown buildings always prevented a straight-in ILS approach.

Al, I had a great view of Chicago last time I went to Wisconsin by using flight Following.  Flight Following is a great way to stay safe and legal when flying near controlled airspaces.  I found O'hare ATC friendly and accomodating.  They had me squawk a separate transponder code and told me to "remain clear of Class B airspace" by flying below the first ceiling outside of the Class E.  I just flew along the lakefront and enjoyed the view.  Here's a link to a previous post where FF was discussed and includes my photos.

http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/2505-flight-following/page-2

Al, one thing that I don't think was mentioned - ATC might ask you for the manufacturer's type designation of your CT.  Your response should be "Fox Trot, Delta, Charlie, Tango" (FDCT).  They might also ask you what the type of equipment designation is and, with just a Mode C Xponder and non certified GPS it is "slash U" or "/U".  I have been asked this.  Have a writing pad handy or have your partner ready to jot down squawk codes, assigned altitudes and vectors in order that you can refer to this.  If you don't understand ATC directions or don't get all of the transmission from them, don't be afraid to ask them to "please repeat".  Some ATC will give vectors and some won't.  Don't mean to make rocket science of it but you'll be ready for ATC. 

FWIW, I attended a town hall meeting with Class B Detroit Metro airport ATC people in order to understand new airspace going into effect here.  They said they would really appreciate it if all general aircraft would call them to either ask for FF or to just let them know if they're in the vicinity.  They said they appreciate knowing as much about the blips on their screens as possible, even if outside the airspace, rather than guessing who is there and what their intent is.  They said most airport ATC have more than adequate personnel to make life as easy as possible for GA and provide safe flight in their airspace.  Interestingly, the Detroit Metro ATC guys said they will provide a "cage" for anyone needing to get from one side of their airspace to the opposite without diverting to go around the 40 mile radius of the airspace.  Just call approach frequency and request a "cage".  They'll provide a clear passage thru the airport at altitudes from 2500' to 4500', right past the control tower.  Of course they could have a unusual situation that prevents this but indicate they'll be able to provide this just about anyime it is requested and there isn't any advance notice needed.

Al, I know that there's different ways ATC runs, depending on personalities of those in charge at various airports.  During the discussion with Detroit Metro controllers the other would provide passage thru their airspace and said to call them and ask for a "cage".  Not sure if this terminology is used at other airports.  The ATC Chief running our meeting suggested anyone wishing to tour the tower give him a call and he would set this up.  If you or others fly in areas near controlled airports, I recommend getting the contact phone number and setting up a tour of the tower.  This provides an opportunity to interact with ATC and see how receptive they are for accommodating GA requests. Good time to ask about things like the "Cage".  The tour isn't necessary though.  One can just call ATC to inquire about this.

Question for Anticept - you mention that "it's in everyone's system" when you file a flight plan, but I did not think that was true for VFR flight plans - I always thought those were in the FSS system only and that it was only IFR flight plans that ARTCC/TRACON could see.  Is this something new or have I misunderstood this?

Thanks.

Question for Anticept - you mention that "it's in everyone's system" when you file a flight plan, but I did not think that was true for VFR flight plans - I always thought those were in the FSS system only and that it was only IFR flight plans that ARTCC/TRACON could see.  Is this something new or have I misunderstood this?

Thanks.

That's what a controller told me. Then again, he was in one of the new facilities...

Archived