New digital charts are awesome

CT4ME

The revised, now digital, charts are beginning to appear.  They are awesome.  Check them out on SkyVector.com .  Be sure to re-load your chart by selecting it from the main map of the World.  They are also starting to appear on the charts rolled out to EFB moving map products.  Some have reported Garmin Pilot is already using them.  They should roll out to all devices by the first week of April.

Tim

Garmin Pilot does have them now.  Just compared them to the old ones in ForeFlight.  It's not "night and day" but the new ones are much clearer have have less noise in them than the old scans.  I'm not 100% sure, but it seems like the new ones cannot be zoomed in quite as far as the old ones, but that might be my imagination.

They are sharper because of the high resolution and liberal use of anti-aliasing. They should distribute plain vector charts, because vectors are redrawn based on mathematical algorithms instead of raster images, which are based on pixels. Vectors use a lot of CPU power, but are tiny files, while raster images are large files but very light on CPU.

I'm not going to get used to the color change from magenta to reddish though for much of the uncontrolled airports :P

Over here in the UK a company called SkyDemon www.skydemon.co.UK has taken the market by storm! You can flight plan for free on their web version or pay a single subscription and download to all your devices!

They include maps from all over the world which you can display in various formats depending on what suits your needs - revolutionised my flight planning.

I don't see a track up view in Skydemon...is that supported?

Chart Orientation

The orientation of the chart can be changed so that north is always up (the default), track is always up (so the map rotates as you turn) or your course is always up (so the map rotates for each leg of your journey). To change the orientation on your Mobile MD, open the Chart menu then the Orientation menu and select your preference. iPad, Android and iPhone users should open the main menu and tap Setup then Orientation. The chart orientation options can also be quickly accessed from the main map by pressing and holding the orange north indicator in the top right-hand corner of the screen when in Go Flying mode.

Archived