Program to flight plan for a 496?

FlyingMonkey

Hey all...

I have a Garmin 496 and I hate setting up flight plans in it, too much work. Is the a PC app that I can use to creat a flight plan, then load it into the 496?

Gee wiz, Mr. Morden.

It is not that hard!  Have been doing it for ever. I am sure you will manage..

Gee wiz, Mr. Morden.

It is not that hard!  Have been doing it for ever. I am sure you will manage..

LOL...I just don't like the little rocker pad on the 496 as a data input device. You are right, it's not that hard...but I'm always looking for a better or easier way to do things!

Often I will put my destination in the 496 and skip the waypoints.  I do have a primary gps with the 496 as badkup.

I see other pilots do the same, the Sierra Nevada tends to be in our way for a couple hundred miles on most flights and allows us to navigate visually.

I usually use my iPad as primary navigation device, and the 496 as a backup.  However, soon I will be installing an autopilot and I need to start using the 496 to drive the autopilot for longer cross country work.  This area is full of MOAs, restricted areas, class B airspace, and similar areas that often make straight line flight planning difficult.

Andy,

There are a few flight planners that will output of .gpx file that can be imported into the 496, but you'll need to pay for privilege as none are free: iflightplanner premium, Jeppensen and Voyager. AOPAs flight planner used to but the feature was removed due to some bugs when they revamped it as FlyQ. EasyGPS can load it into the 496.

Archived