Toolbox gems that makes life easier

Anticept

So, I am going to share a couple gems of mine that I keep around for work that I do, that makes the job a LOT less frustrating when doing general maintenance. These are little things that everyone who does maintenance should have, because they save your back, your hands, and your sanity.

Mechanical fingers/claw pick up tool

21Bg8q2UqlL.jpg

We deal with lots of tiny spaces, and some parts are delicate if you try to reach in with your hands. This is the single greatest tool I have ever used for dealing with dropped hardware. Push the plunger, and the claw comes out and opens, release, and the claw closes and locks down on whatever you are fishing out.

There are LED lighted versions which are even better, because you don't have to juggle a flashlight!

videoscope

image_23068.jpg

I hate inspection mirrors. I know they are cheap, but it requires a lot of light shining into wherever you are trying to see. They have lighted inspection mirrors, but those are bulky. This tool does not completely replace an inspection mirror, but it does supplement the inspection tools a LOT. I personally use one that has a microsd card slot, video out, and USB, but you don't even need to be that fancy, you could just use a simple fiberscope. The point is, you can snake these things around and see things in great detail that inspection mirrors cannot. Downside is they cost a hundred plus for a half decent videoscope, and if you want an articulating head, prepare to drop a few big ones. Really though, if you have to pull out an articulating head video borescope, it is already going to cost you a fortune.

Socket adapters

image_18997.jpg

A 3/8ths drive ratchet will pretty much cover anything we need. But, for small nuts and bolts, they often come in the 1/4 inch flavor. Or for the occasional big socket applications, like spark plug sockets, they come in the 1/2 inch variety. Having a set of socket adapters means you don't need 3 different drive ratchets, and really would only need one, maybe 2 torque wrenches too.

Universal socket joint / Flexible Socket Extenders

099198858357.jpg311Ae2lEDGL.jpg

These make life a lot easier too... well most of the time. They help you move the ratchet around a little bit to get more room to spin it! However, you need a hand on the joint to hold it in place, so it doesn't really work for super tight spaces.

Hot Glue Gun

WGF-3002L.jpg

Hot glue is a GREAT way to help hold wires and connectors in place, seal connectors (like the bullet connectors used aggressively in CTs), and keep things from moving around. You don't need much, a little dab can hold quite a bit!

There are two variations: Hot and Cold stick. The hot stick version melts at quite a bit higher temperature, but you risk burning things.

Safety Wire Twister (Also known as a wire driver)

134l.jpg

This is an old school tool, but with today's tighter and tighter spaces to run safety wire in, this tool won't be going away anytime soon! Aircraft tool sells them in 8 inch, 12 inch, and adjustable 13-19 inch variants with manual return twist drive.

I picked up one of these recently (that is, 12 inch variant in October 2014), and I wish I had it sooner for tight spaces. It has two holes in the tip that you feed each leg of the safety wire into. A technique that I use in tight spaces is this: after it's fed through the tip, I bend the safety wire sideways (perpendicular to the tool) and partially around the tool shaft, and just let the wire wrap itself while I twist the handle. This keeps the wire from backing off while you set the twists in the wire. When you have enough twists, you can just tug on the tool and it will straighten the legs of the wire back out! That is, assuming you don't have 6 feet of wire wrapped around the head :).

I have not yet needed the claw tool although I do have a magnetic one I use on occasion.

The others I have. Plus a variety of socket extensions and and (don't know the official name here) ratcheting thumb wheels for light duty or getting things started threading.

• 2 months later...

Ok, I'll start the ball rolling - add a small roll of high heat silicone tape which sticks to itself and becomes unified and cannot be pulled apart after a short while.  Use it to mend radiator hose leaks, finish off and seal ragged ends of fire sleeve, wrap and insulate gripping surfaces of pliers and screwdrivers to improve the grip and insulate yourself from shock, etc.  I had a water drain plug on my boat that was slighty too small for the hole.  A few wraps of tape around the plug and problem permanently solved.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the videoscope you have pictured. If you look for the coupon it is $70 at Harbor Freight and works well.

As I recall, the cheaper Harbor freight borescope head was too big to go in the spark plug holes while the $200 model would fit.  Does yours fit in the spark plug hole?

You are right, it will not fit through the plug holes, but works for most other things. If I feel the need eventually I will get the other. With these engines has anyone found anything significant via the spark plug holes?

Yes, we found signs of warpage in one of the cylinder barrels years ago.

I think one looks for valve damage that way.  Uneven heating shows up in discoloration patterns, for example.  May not matter so much on Rotax engines, I don't know, but is used for conventional engines that way.

You are right, it will not fit through the plug holes, but works for most other things. If I feel the need eventually I will get the other. With these engines has anyone found anything significant via the spark plug holes?

I think one looks for valve damage that way.  Uneven heating shows up in discoloration patterns, for example.  May not matter so much on Rotax engines, I don't know, but is used for conventional engines that way.

Yep. A little bit of heat tint is allowed on lycoming and continental, but I'm not sure about Rotax.

For example, this is too much for an engine. It's got a lot of deposits but you can clearly see the changing temper on the right side as it is burning.

16489.jpg

Here's a nice a pretty cylinder with another burned valve. This is what is more likely to be seen, because it's hard for deposits to sit on a nice red valve:

valve_bad.jpg

Archived