EAA WEBINAR ROTAX CARE AND FEEDING

bitten192

There was an interesting EAA webinar on ROTAX maintenance this week. I'm glad that EAA is giving some attention to ROTAX in their webinar series. There is a video of it on the EAA Webinar website under archives. I believe Paul Shuck should have mentioned Roger Lee as one of the ROTAX "gurus". He certainly has been the go-to guy about ROTAX questions on all of the LSA and Light Sport forums that  I've seen.

I was a bit surprised at the omission. There were also a couple of things that didn't seem up to date= like min. starting temp of 40F. My

Sept. 2O12 owners manual says =13F. My opinion is to use heat at 40 or so, but that is not the stated minimum.

There were a few things that were personal opinions and not Rotax teachings. You have to go to classes or you will fall behind in new developments and changes from previous practices.

Rotax education is always ongoing and there is so much to learn it can take years and it takes years to see enough things to foster that learning.

If I were experimental amateur built I would have to take that ongoing cost into account if I was going to instal a Rotax. Many thousands of dollars over the lifetime of the engine. Especially expensive if you don't live near one of the few training centers. Assuming what you are saying is true.

My engine has not changed in any significant way (that Rotax could address in a class) since I bought my plane. I assume if there are issues that Rotax cares enough to let us know.

I know it makes a difference if you are working on a variety of Rotax engines of different years. I have taken all the courses Rotax will allow since I do not work on enough engines to qualify for the heavy maintenance class, and don't plan on doing the work it allows.

Archived