Increased "mag" drop troubleshooting - ROTAX 912ULS2

FastEddieB

Sagan's atheism didn't come across in the movie, but I liked both the book and the movie.(In some ways it is like Lord of the Rings where Tolkien's environmentalism did not come across and the expunging of the Shire of those who cooperated with evil was left out entirely.)

Don't know about AOPA.

We catch Cosmos the following day via Hulu+, having "cut the cord" and given up DishNetwork nearly a year ago and getting by with just internet viewing. Between Hulu+, Netflix and various channels on our AppleTV, we're virtually never without something to watch.

Not sure, but I suspect you can get the AOPA channel on Apple TV. It is free and they do a segment every Thursday. (They put it online too, "AOPA Live.")

Or big three are Netflix, Hulu+, and Amazon Prime. Occasionally PBS and History.

We do also have Amazon Prime, though only rarely use it to "rent" a movie, maybe having done it three times in the past (30 Seconds Over Tokyo, 12 Angry Men and Inherit The Wind).

Anything I can bring up on my iPad I can stream up to the AppleTV, so that would work for AOPA.

PBS is good for Downton Abbey, anyway!

• 5 months later...

In relation to physical phenomena, "God did it" seems a lot "simpler" than pages of equations. But in that apparently simple statement lie many, many assumptions.

I'm not particularly religious, but I have noticed something rather funny:

Religious Types:  "God created the Universe out of nothingness in a very brief period of time...Nobody knows how."

Anti-Religious Types:  "Boy do you have some backwards ideas.  Right thinking people simply KNOW that the Big Bang created the Universe of of nothingness in a very brief period of time...Nobody knows how.  SHEESH."

;)

Question about the ignition. Which cylinders and plugs (i.e., cylinder #'s and top or bottom plugs) does #2 position of the ign. switch operate?

Open the Rotax Heavy Maintenance Manual and review the wiring diagrams for the ignition system to determine which modules control which coils, which fire which plugs.

You will need to cross-reference with the Flight Design wiring diagrams to determine which of A and B modules are controlled by the left or right position.

In general, for all engines except the 914, if one fires the top plug on one side, it will fire the bottom on the opposing cylinder. This is for mag drop consistency during runup.

Anticept, before asking this question, I did look at Rotax manuals and tried to find a cross reference to the FD manual to determine which ignition module is controlled by position #1 and #2 on the ignition switch. I couldn't make the comparison. I can try to decipher my wiring diagram to determine this but figured I'd throw myself at the mercy of this forum to save some time :-) Roger, I see the setup you describe but need to know which ignition switch position ( 1 or 2) controls which module. You wouldn't happen to know this would you? (I hate reading wiring diagrams).

I had to do this on my Sky Arrow, albeit with separate ignition switches.

There is one wire in the modular plug going to each ignition module which serves as a "p-lead".

Ignition 1 should show as grounded when you select 2, and vice versa.

Both should be grounded with the switch "OFF", and both open with the switch on "BOTH".

Roger should be able to tell you which wire you should be checking, or an easier way to do it.

Hi Eddie. Although I should have known better, I looked at my circuit diagram. As suspected, no joy here. This shows which post in the ignition switch goes to which of the two ignition modules but it doesn't show how these posts relate to the #1 and #2 key positions. Looks like I'll have to do what you did, grab my multi-meter and figure out which ignition leads at the modules are "open" to ground when the switch is at the #1 and #2 positions.

"which ignition switch position ( 1 or 2) controls which module. You wouldn't happen to know this would you? (I hate reading wiring diagrams). "

I believe (don't quote me here) the #1 key position is module "A" and the #2 key position is module "B".

One easy way to find out. Stick your friend's finger (or closest bratty kid) in #1 top spark plug boot and when you see him quit twitching after you turn one off you'll have a positive answer.  :P 

Hi Roger. Many years ago my kid sister was watching me work on my car. I had just installed solid plug wires and had degreased and washed the engine. Just as I hit the ignition key to start the car, she decided to check out my pretty new red wires. She still smacks me upside my head whenever we start to talk about the "good old days".

Thanks for the guess on the ignition. Although I should have known better, I looked at my circuit diagram. As suspected, no joy here. This shows ignition switch post #4 goes to module B and post #8 goes to module A but it doesn't show how these posts relate to the #1 and #2 key positions. Looks like I'll have to do as Fast Eddie did and grab my multi-meter and figure out which post goes "open" to ground when the key is in #1 position and do the same for key position #2. This is not highly critical but good info to file away for future reference.

You could pull one of the ignition module's crankshaft position sensor and power leads, start the engine, and find out if it stops when you switch to right. If it stops, the module you pulled runs on right. If it doesn't, then it will stop if you turn it to left! (Assuming you did it right).

That's a thought. I'd like to do some wire chasing without having that big fan running though. :blink:

You can pull it apart, then start the engine. ***important*** make absolutely sure you are pulling the charging circuit side of the modules, not the ignition coil side!

Should be a good way to find out if your start circuits are malfunctioning too!

Archived