Source for panel light rheostat?

207WF

It should control the brightness of the light strip above the electrical switches, the lights in the wing root for the fuel sight tubes, the compass and the light rings on the analog gauges if they are installed.  It only works if your navigation/position lights are on though.

I would need to look inside at the wiring, but in some aircraft installations, the rheostat is connected to the base of an NPN transistor. This is so that if the rheostat fails, the lighting will go full bright. That's why I am asking for symptoms, so I would know what to look for to cut down on research.

There is an on-off position with a click; you turn it on then further clockwise to brighten the lights.   The on-off position seems to "slip" around in a circle, retreating away from my attempts to click it off counter clockwise.  I looked in the back and saw nothing loose.  I am leaving it on, at the dimmest possible position, until I can get it fixed for fear that it might not turn on some time when I need it.

WF

There is an on-off position with a click; you turn it on then further clockwise to brighten the lights.   The on-off position seems to "slip" around in a circle, retreating away from my attempts to click it off counter clockwise.  I looked in the back and saw nothing loose.  I am leaving it on, at the dimmest possible position, until I can get it fixed for fear that it might not turn on some time when I need it.

WF

Pull the knob off and make sure the splines aren't stripped. Mine is stripped and I can't turn the lights off.

Archived