Paid a visit to Hartzell Propeller today

Anticept

Part of a field trip. They gave us a tour of the facility. Watching them make their props is quite fascinating.

And guess what I got to see? The experimental propeller they are developing for the C4! They are researching the blade design, and the one I saw was undergoing vibration testing. Because of trade secrets, I wasn't allowed to take any pictures...

There's some other stuff that I saw while I was there, and I started asking a few questions... it got the attention of management. Still going through the preliminary details, but I might end up helping out with the testing phase of shiny new rotax propellers :). Apparently this isn't the first time that my little flight training operation has contributed to Hartzell either, my predecessor had loaned them an airplane years ago (apache) for development of a new propeller then too!

• 2 months later...

So, got back in touch with one of the prop engineers. They are very interested in my engine and aircraft.

A little birdie told me that the rules about props for LSA might change too. Hartzell is playing a hard gamble on constant speed propellers for the 912 series engines. Being a pretty damn major prop player and deep contacts with the FAA, it would be interesting if that hint turns out to be true.

Archived