LSA Upgrade If FAA Eases Medical

Looking less likely Ron, I am sitting with Mom in the hospital as we speak. This is the eighth time since October. We are also in the process of moving her to assisted living. Right now I am on my own Char is with our daughter touring Norway.

It is tough to plan anything.

I have a private with 700 hours, 250 in my CTLS  and the rest in cessna and cherokees. I let my medical go cause it was getting iffy. We go on 2-6hr cross countrys. If the 3rd class goes away my wife would like me to go to a 172 or cherokee  for the heavier (smooth) ride in rough air. I take my flight review in a 150 and it feels like a battle ship compared to CTLS. I enjoy flying for about $20 per hour in gas (mogas) vs $50-60 per hour using 100LL. I also figure prices of good used 172's etc will jump up and the value of my CTLS will drop and would have a hard time selling it but I am all for getting rid of 3rd class..

I have a private with 700 hours, 250 in my CTLS  and the rest in cessna and cherokees. I let my medical go cause it was getting iffy. We go on 2-6hr cross countrys. If the 3rd class goes away my wife would like me to go to a 172 or cherokee  for the heavier (smooth) ride in rough air. I take my flight review in a 150 and it feels like a battle ship compared to CTLS. I enjoy flying for about $20 per hour in gas (mogas) vs $50-60 per hour using 100LL. I also figure prices of good used 172's etc will jump up and the value of my CTLS will drop and would have a hard time selling it but I am all for getting rid of 3rd class..

I would probably keep my CT, sell the RV-12 project and then go back to a C-180, 182 or 206 as the "going somewhere" aircraft.

You know I am just the opposite. I have a medical , and I have both a Piper Warrior and a CTLS. If I want to go somewhere and don't need the extra seats I will take the CTLS every time. When I do fly the Warrior I think to myself what a dog it is compared the CT. I think the battleship feel is because of the extra weight and lack of performance.

You know I am just the opposite. I have a medical , and I have both a Piper Warrior and a CTLS. If I want to go somewhere and don't need the extra seats I will take the CTLS every time. When I do fly the Warrior I think to myself what a dog it is compared the CT. I think the battleship feel is because of the extra weight and lack of performance.

That's something I ponder...if this all goes through and I'm able to get a PP without a medical, it's likely I will.  But I don't know how I would do flying those bigger airplanes, since literally 100% of my flying time is in airplanes with a 1320lb gross weight.  I can see myself getting behind a heavier airplane with less climb and acceleration performance and more inertia and control lag.  That would require some real retraining I think.  

That's something I ponder...if this all goes through and I'm able to get a PP without a medical, it's likely I will.  But I don't know how I would do flying those bigger airplanes, since literally 100% of my flying time is in airplanes with a 1320lb gross weight.  I can see myself getting behind a heavier airplane with less climb and acceleration performance and more inertia and control lag.  That would require some real retraining I think.

Andy, I have over 5,000 hours in airplanes heavier than the CT, but would still choose the CT.

Andy, I have over 5,000 hours in airplanes heavier than the CT, but would still choose the CT.

Sure, and I agree with that!  I'd choose a smaller, more nimble airplane with better power-to-weight ratio, especially with a joystick (not a lover of yokes) over a heavier one...unless I had more stuff/people to haul.

My experience is that it is quite easy to transition from a very light aircraft to a heavier single.  Flight Design's experience is that it is difficult to transition pilots from heavier aircraft to a light sport.

This is the FAA's position too. Over half of the accidents are high time transitioning pilots.

Archived