First Real Cross Country

FlyingMonkey

Cool, is it 91+ octane?  KSEF used to have mogas at Lockwood too, no idea if they still do.

Yes they still do, about $1.25 /Gal. more expensive than at KGIF. Last time I checked. I believe KGIF is 91 octane but don't quote me. That is where I fuel, exclusively.

Cheers

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andy,

Flight following was mentioned and that's a good Idea.

Also the "Little John" may be useful, although I had a hard time balancing it between my feet when I needed it on my way to Savannah. :)

Lockwood is a great facility ...all my service work on my CTLS was done there and never had a problem.  Based out of Clearwater (KCLW), I would fly south along the coast until I was just past St. Petersburg, then cut due east under Tampa Bravo airspace until I got to Manatee county, then popped back up to 3000.

I agree with some of the others ... unless you have a super bladder, a stop closer to half way would be better.  A great little airport that I stopped at frequently on the way to Baton Rouge is Thomasville, GA (KTVI).  If you do that you will miss the swamp, then simply follow the coast down past St. Petersburg and then cut over to the east direct to Sebring.  Might add on a bit to your trip, but the scenic view along the coast is awesome!

Good luck!

When swamps are in the way, consider just flying IFR.

Map out how you might drive the route, then just pretty much follow the roads.

In an emergency, that road or its median might be a good option. If it did not work out, at least it makes it easy for rescue to get to you!

LOL, I know that's right about getting different answers!

So along either of the proposed routes, does anybody know of an airfield about halfway that has both fuel and a restaurant (or one within walking distance anyway)?  If I'm going to make a stop, I'll stretch a bit and get some food.  It doesn't have to be fancy, just a Waffle House would do.

I would like to stop in Cedar Key, I've heard great things about it.  Taxi service to great restaurants, and you can call the taxi on CTAF...but no fuel there.  :(

Hi from Australia, the longest trip I have done is across the continent about 1900 nm in a Colyear Martin 3, I am still waiting for my CTLSi to come in which I will do it again. It was mentioned fuel was $1.25 a gallon, we pay Aus $1.60  a litre with exchange rate that is US $6.53 a gallon I am envious. Of the trip across Australia over 700 nm was just bush I followed the road.

Hi from Australia, the longest trip I have done is across the continent about 1900 nm in a Colyear Martin 3, I am still waiting for my CTLSi to come in which I will do it again. It was mentioned fuel was $1.25 a gallon, we pay Aus $1.60  a litre with exchange rate that is US $6.53 a gallon I am envious. Of the trip across Australia over 700 nm was just bush I followed the road.

Actually it was said that it was $1.25 MORE at one airport than another. Gas is cheaper here than down under, but not that cheap. We usually pay $3.50-4.50 for premium car gas, and $5-6+ for Avgas.

Just got off the phone with HOVA at KGIF, their MOGAS is actually 91 octane . Corrected my incorrect "belief" on my previoous post.

Cheers

Nice, thanks for the update!  I know where I'll be refueling!

BTW, it looks like my flight will be :   KWDR -> 15J -> X60 -> KSEF

15J is just to bend my course line away from the Moody restricted area, since the line from KWDR to X60 goes right through it.

X60 (Williston) will be my refuel and food stop, if needed.  I will probably need to stop, stretch, and get a snack at least.  I'm going to depart with full tanks, and I should have plenty to get to KSEF, but I will fuel if needed.  I also have a secondary fuel stop at KGIF if I don't fill at X60 and it starts looking tight on fuel for some reason.

On the way back I'll fuel at either Sebring or Winter Haven.  I'm hoping to make the whole trip without using any 100LL, but I will take some Decalin with me in case I need fuel away from the two mogas airports.

Not sure exact day your appointment is at Lockwood, but Thursday (May 15) a major weather front is passing through our state.  They are saying the weather could be severe with 70-80% rain.  Wouldn't want to mess around with that system!

Once the front passes through late Thursday, weather looks fantastic for the next several days ... sunny and low humidity.

Good luck on the trip!

Not sure exact day your appointment is at Lockwood, but Thursday (May 15) a major weather front is passing through our state.  They are saying the weather could be severe with 70-80% rain.  Wouldn't want to mess around with that system!

Once the front passes through late Thursday, weather looks fantastic for the next several days ... sunny and low humidity.

Good luck on the trip!

Thanks, I have been watching that. I'm hoping to leave early Friday morning, after the front is gone. Winds might be a little stiff (12-17kts), but oriented right down the runway at all the airports I'm going to, according to forecasts. Looks like it should work out well...if not, I can go Saturday or Sunday. I already made arrangements with Lockwood if I get pushed back.

Andy

Sounds like it will work out perfect!

Once you get to Lockwood, there is a great FBO directly next door that has a very nice pilot lounge area and a good cafe. The FBO also has free wireless, but so does Lockwood (just ask for the access code).  If you end up staying overnight, there is a nice hotel just down the road ... the Chateau Elan which I believe Lockwood can get you a discount on the room rates (John Hurst's wife works at the hotel desk).

Have a great flight!

Andy,

Feel free to call if you have any last minute concerns.

Florida was my stomping ground for about 30 years, and Lockwood did my first two annuals.

BTW, if you're that far south, a little trip to Marathon in the FL Keys is quite beautiful.

Archived