Flight Design's Global Push

CT4ME

The key to manufacturing in China will be to have a person who is not a Chinese national responsible for quality. My comment is based on first hand knowledge. Many companies now employ European, Australian or other non national personnel to keep the factories on the straight and narrow. With the Chinese government slowing subsides to its manufacturing companies those super low cost days are fast coming to a close. The hard goods industry is beginning to see a trend as more and more US companies re-shoring due to the continued increase in pricing year after year for the last 3-5 years.

I was not aware of quality issues with the Skycatcher. Design problems were the issues I was aware of, that falls on Cessna.

'Would have to agree.  The "stories" of quality problems seemed to have come from folks who had an axe to grind... bigoted, anti-LSA, anti-Cessna.  I know and respect several people who fly c162s, and never hear anything about "quality problems".  What I've seen looked OK.

• 2 months later...

Regardless of where it is produced and assembled, I think quality control is the key to its success.

This is the key to success no matter WHERE something is built. As long as I hear strong oversight in the factory in China, I won't be as nervous about it.

Maybe it's unfair to to consider some of the other finished cheap chinese goods coming out of that country and automatically assume FD's stuff will be the same, but here in the United States, if something has "made in china" stamped on it, there's a very negative stigma about the quality with it. We already have some people who don't like it when I say my plane is built in Ukraine.

Yes, I know: China produces some top notch goods, and the US has some really shitty goods too. It's all about the QC. Thing is, it's not always about ACTUAL quality either. PERCEIVED quality can make or break a product, especially if it is safety critical.

Archived