Really FD???

FlyingMonkey

So I was hoping to install a AoA pitot probe to talk to my D100 and give me some form of stall indication.  Being a good little CT owner, I submitted an MRA letter to FD USA, who then passed it on to FD Germany for evaluation.  The result?

FD Germany wants  $600  in "engineering fees" to issue the letter with instructions.  This, in spite of the fact that many CTSWs and CTLSs come *from the factory* with AoA probes.  It's not like this is some unusual change that requires the engineers to get out their calipers and sliderules and figure this out.  All they have to do is provide a photocopy of their existing assembly documents.

It's no wonder that so many owners skirt the rules, when the penalty for playing by the rules is so expensive.  Sigh...maybe I will just upgrade to a Skyview system sometime down the road.  IIRC that is a blanket LOA for all CTSWs,and INCLUDES the AoA pitot install as part of the package.

I can't WAIT to take this damn thing experimental.

Hi Andy,

You may not really want to do that mod any way. It isn't as easy as it sounds. I have done my homework here for two other people and it takes some fine drilling and fitting plus new air lines. We found it a bigger pain than it was worth. Both decide to forgo the mod. If you set yourself some speed parameters you shouldn't have to ever have a stall warning. Stay away from full stall scenarios and pay attention to detail when landing and you shouldn't ever need a stall warning. 

Archived